2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Fan (?) Noise with AC and highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
DClaunch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan (?) Noise with AC and highway driving

Hiya,
My wife's 2000 intrepid has started making noises when the AC is turned on. If its kept on low and I stick to surface streets it doesnt start making noise until I've driven it a bit or its hot outside. It also makes the noise if I have driven it on the highway. At one point it felt like there was a motor/fan trying to turn but it wasnt able to, you could feel a resistance which is something I feel is related but not as common as the noise.
I assume its a problem with the fan, but not sure as it seems a little different from most of the posts I was able to find on these forums. There is also some form of wiring issue as her interior and dashboard lights will occasionally flicker or switch off and on, primarily while idling at a light. I'm hoping for a simple fix that a novice like myself can pull off, but understand if its best to go to a mechanic. I bought the shop manuals off of ebay, so at the very least I have decent instructions to follow once the problem is found, but I dont want to end up replacing half of the car looking for the proper thing that someone with experience would be able to hit immediately.
Thanks for any help!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Are you refering to the interiir fan? What do you mean by resistance? (To air flow, engine power, electrical resistance ). Does it have a problem with vent air on (both ac on and off) or internal circulated air?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 AM
DClaunch

Its the radiator cooling fan, the one on the drivers side thats making the racket. It seems loose in its mounting. The resistance I was referring to was more of something felt, like the fan motor or fan was trying to turn but something was keeping it from doing so, not an actual electrical/air flow problem. It makes noise always if the air is on for very long or on higher than low. It sometimes makes the noise when driven around without the ac on if its driven for a little while or a short while on the highway.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Ok. The fan is electrical and only comes on when needed. Thats why it is under all fhose conditions you mentioned. As for the noise, check to make sure it's not loose in the shroud, rubbing, or binding. (Lost screws etc) If all seems ok, you could pull the motor and try to clean it or just replace it.

Quick Reply: Fan (?) Noise with AC and highway driving