2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Need Advise! PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
DodgeFanMom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advise! PLEASE help!

My son found a 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE (2.7) to buy for what seems to be a good price. It's only had 2 owners but it's got 159,000 miles on it. When we went to check it out, when we first started it there was this clicking noise from what sounded like the fan, that went away after starting. We did notice that the fan was running. We turned the car off, and restarted and it didnt do it again. Later we noticed that the CEL was on. We got it tested and got the code P1490- Low Speed Fan CtrL Relay Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the control circuit of the low speed radiator fan control relay.

Because of the code, I've been doing some research and I'm really mixed because there isn't a ton of info on this particular issue.

Other than the relay or fuse issue, what kind of problems are we talking about this possibly being?

I'm wondering if I should buy this car or not. If its really a simple fix we are getting a pretty good deal.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by DodgeFanMom; 10-17-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

The fan deal probably isn't a big deal...probably. If me, I'd worry more about the 2.7. It's been plagued with oil sludge issues that cause the engine to blow. Some folks like them though (just make SURE to do regular oil changes). I have a 97 with a 3.5 that still runs fine (1st gen...yours would be a 2 nd gen). If you ever find a 3 series (eg 3.5, 3.2) those are better than the 2.7.

BTW... what's a good deal...I bought a 2002 300m (basicly the same as an intrepid) with a 3.5 a year ago for $3800.

As for the fan issue could also be a poor ground, loose wire, or a bad PCM (that would be worst case) but PROBABLY it's just the relay.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurts is right, you see a 2.7l chrysler with over 100k miles, you run in opposite direction.
If it has a 3.5l or 3.2l, then I would recommend buying it.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeFanMom
when we first started it there was this clicking noise from what sounded like the fan, that went away after starting.

Likely what you heard was a result of slack in the timing chain either from being stretched, the primary chain tensioner failing or the runner off a timing chain guide has fallen off. Run far, far away.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
DodgeFanMom

Thanks to everyone who answered. The guy ended up reposting it for under 1K so yes, I ran! Far. TNtech-your description solidifies that I did the right thing passing on this car. Timing chain could = bad bad issues with this motor from what Ive read. Plus, with the super diligent maintanence that the 2.7 needs, no way. He's 20 and not a tinkerer. Looked at a 3.2 for like 1800, but it had CEL issues too..ended up getting him a 98 Dakota 4x4. He really wanted a truck anyway. Hoping the truck gets him a year or 2 until he's done with school and working full time. Thanks again for your input!

Last edited by DodgeFanMom; 10-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That's good. He'll like the Dakota plus you can put him to work doing mommy chores stuff since he has a truck now.

Quick Reply: Need Advise! PLEASE help!