2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2002 Dodge Intrepid ES retire it or keep going

Old 12-24-2013, 05:58 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES retire it or keep going

I am trying to decide whether to keep my 2002 Intrepid ES. The piece of garbage aftermarket sunroof (previous owner) is broken (it won't move) and leaks (it has never sealed properly), my dealer can't fix it. The dash has two cracks in it. The paint is starting to show signs of wear. The ball joints and Torsion bar bushings are getting worn.

I keep going back and forth. I have had this now for 5 going on 6 years in August. I have never liked this one as well as my 97 Intrepid (gets slightly lower gas mileage, feels a bit too big and surprisingly feels more floaty), but I don't know what to get instead. I have looked for other used LH cars with low miles. I could afford new if I wanted to, but nothing seems to fit what I am looking for (FWD, Large, 3.2+ sized V6, domestic, futuristic styling, Dodge/Chrysler preferred). Should I stick with this until 200K deal with the sunroof and fix the ball joints & Torsion bar bushings or get another used LH car (if so which one) or get something different? Advice please.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The new Cherokee has a 3.2 Pentastar in it. I didn't think I would like them from the pre-launch pics, but after driving one, I really do. A 3.6L Charger might interest you too. I dunno though, buying new even if you can afford it isn't always the best financial decision.

If that's an aftermarket sunroof, you'll have to get a whole new one. Not worth it. Get some of that clear bathroom silicone/adhesive and seal it up. The front end stuff is easy enough to fix.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-24-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your suggestions. I was about to go forward with this, then one day I happened to notice a 99 LHS in almost perfect condition with only 78K miles and couldn't say no.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 97 3.5 Intrepid
Thank you for your suggestions. I was about to go forward with this, then one day I happened to notice a 99 LHS in almost perfect condition with only 78K miles and couldn't say no.

You beat me to it!!!??? I would take that deal. You would have been throwing good money at bad ideas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES retire it or keep going