2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Sugar in gas tank, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:55 PM
c122237
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sugar in gas tank, need advice!

I have sugar in the gas tank of my 2000 intrepid. I did not start or turn the key. I am hoping to drop the tank and get the sugar removed on my own. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, any tips or advice would be great. Also any links to other archives or videos that could give me an idea of where to start, Thanks!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm sure not a lot of people had this happen to them. Disgruntled employee, lover, ex, GF, BF? At any rate, you will need to remove the tank. Drain (siphon) as much gas out as you can. Unbolt and drop the tank (removing necessary filler neck connections, etc. You tube has a bunch of videos on gas tank removal. Same procedure on most vehicles if you cant find one specific to the Intrepid.

http://snippets.com/how-can-i-get-su...y-gas-tank.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_5630253_fix-sugar-gas-tank.html

Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Ramx2
Amateur

Drain gas. Drop tank. rinse with the hottest water you can stand about 6 times. the hotter the better as the hot water will help dissolve any left over sugar in the tank an will be easier and faster to dry. use air hose to dry the tank. replace the tank.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Drop the tank and drain all gas out of it. Mark the orientation of the pump/sender unit in the tank. Loosen the pump/sender nut at the top of the tank and pull out the assembly. Then you can look inside the tank and remove any sugar manually. Then just wash it out with a garden hose. Make sure the inside is dry of ANY water before reinstalling the pump/sender unit. I'm not familiar with the intrepid gas tank but most tanks are similar in configuration. Do you know how much was put in? You may want to read this...
http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
c122237

Originally Posted by Moparite
Drop the tank and drain all gas out of it. Mark the orientation of the pump/sender unit in the tank. Loosen the pump/sender nut at the top of the tank and pull out the assembly. Then you can look inside the tank and remove any sugar manually. Then just wash it out with a garden hose. Make sure the inside is dry of ANY water before reinstalling the pump/sender unit. I'm not familiar with the intrepid gas tank but most tanks are similar in configuration. Do you know how much was put in? You may want to read this...
http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

I've watched several videos but this is the first I hear of the sender unit. After watching a video regarding the sender unit I see it's inside the tank. I remove the whole unit or do I just disconnect it where it connects to the line? I am unsure how much was put in, there was a whole bunch outside of the vehicle as they did not use a funnel. I already have had issues with my fuel pump and what not so I'd rather be safe and empty it. I definitely debated running it after reading a few articles similar to that one.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Remove the whole unit like this...

Quick Reply: Sugar in gas tank, need advice!