2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

vibration at idle - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 AM
neon_at_auction
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration at idle - normal?

Hello. As my login suggests I recently purchased a 2002 base model Neon (automatic) with 59,000 miles at an auction for my 16 year old son. After a couple of early and scary mechanical issues (crank position sensor wire harness - $200 and catalytic converter, under warranty - whew!) it seems to be a nice little car, perfect for him to take back and forth to school/work.

I do have two questions that I was hoping you might be able to help me with.

First, I feel there is more vibration at idle than I would expect. It appears to be worse in drive with the brake on than in neutral. While at the dealer for the CC I asked them about it and they said it was probably due for a tune up - plugs/wires. After nearly choking on the $190 quote they gave me to replace the plugs/wires I picked up the material at Autozone and did the job myself. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help the vibration problem but the plugs were probably due anyway. Suggestions on what to check next? Or, is this vibration normal for this vehicle?

Second, what type of gas mileage should I expect? I haven't measured it yet, but suspect it is probably not as good as it should be. I did add some fuel system cleaner at the last fill up.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Andpto
All Star
Default RE: vibration at idle - normal?

From what i heard the vibration is normal in most neons. My 2000 does it and it depends on many driving conditions like weather, and myself. Maybe change the motor mounts would help since they could be worn down.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

its normal. maybe motor mounts check to see if they are torn, and if not dont worry about it. its not plugs or fuel or anything

Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Adionik
Champion

I have the exact same model of neon you have. 2002. Yours isn't solar yellow by any chance is it? :]

Anyways. I notice my is jumpy by a bit as well. I'm looking into getting some motor mounts, as they are only about 30-50 bucks. Other than that, I don't know what it might be. The compressor makes the car notably shakier when on, but that's usually the case with all older economic cars.

As far as gas mileage, i'm pretty dissapointed. Gas was $2.39 here, and it took a little over $23 dollars to fill up my tank, so i'm guessing it's about a 12 gallon tank. Nonetheless, I noticed that I was getting about 100 miles at half a tank. I got about 7 miles more per gallon with my CAI, I can't wait to put it back on after all these horrible storms. Perhaps look into a CAI. Gives the car a nice sound and a lot nicer pick up.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Andpto
All Star

But with a CAI it causes u to floor it more since u like the sound of it more lol so i dont same much on gas

Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Adionik
Champion

HAHA, yeah. It does sound pretty cool. I might switch to short ram. Not sure if there is much of a difference, but I hate taking it on and off whenever it rains. Puddles in my neighborhood are practically small lakes.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Andpto
All Star

Oh its not the bad here but when summer comes its going to start raining again so im looking to purchase a knock Short ram off of Ebay.

Quick Reply: vibration at idle - normal?