2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Leah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

Hi, I have a 2005 neon, a couple of months ago the engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. They really didnt give me a reason why it was on, and a day or so later the light went off. About a week ago the engine light came back on and this time when I stop for any period of time, like at a red light, the engine light will start to flash, and it feels like it Idle's funny. then when I start moving again the light will stop flashing but stay on. I really did'nt want to pay another $70.00 so I took it to an auto parts store and they hooked it up. They machine read P0301, they said it might be the spark plug so we changed them. The engine light is still doing the same thing. Any ideas?? thanks

Old 05-02-2007, 04:14 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: help please

P0301 is a Cylinder #1 Misfire code...so I would also check the spark plug wires and make sure they are still in good shape (no corrosion, discoloring, etc...).

Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Leah

I'll try that, thank you

Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Biged83
Captain

yeah with that code check your 3 main things related plugs, wires and if those check clear your coil

Old 05-04-2007, 06:55 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

just a precaution, check and make sure that the plug isnt damaged and that its gapped properly. i have cracked a plug before somehow between the autoaparts store and my house

Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: flamingpinhead

just a precaution, check and make sure that the plug isnt damaged and that its gapped properly. i have cracked a plug before somehow between the autoaparts store and my house
[&:] wow... did you sit on them or...

let them get sucked out a window into oncoming traffic, hit a car mirror, slam into a pedestrians face, get lodged, pried out, and then returned to you???

wow...

anyways, I agree with what everyone else said... just had to comment on that

Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Leah

hi, I went home this past weekend and took my car to the dealer. By now its reallyidles funnywhen I stop at for any period of time. When I spoke to the guy looking at my car he said it was the sparkplugs. I told him that the plugs had been changed. He asked what kind they were and I told him some platnium kind. He said not to use that kind it had to be a champion copper or something. So we got those kind and had them changed. No difference.. the light still comes on ..same thing. My little brother checked the wires and the coil. He said they were fine. I asked him how he knew that and he said "because the (insert choice words) shocked the (insert choice words) out of me" Is that right? can you check it that way? Anyway im getting kind of frustrated. Should they have to look at it if the engine light is coming on?would that covered under the powertrain warnyt?? or is it my problem type deal.
thanks a lot

Old 05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I had the same exact problem, end of last year... rough running, almost stalling, got an engine light...AND got the same code...Cylinder 1 misfire

I went to the parts store, and ..after reading posts here... made sure I got the STOCK champion plugsAND a set of wires... replaced plugs and wires and it has been running perfect ever since.

By the way, my wires looked just fine, no evidence of any problem, but still I had to replace them.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Leah

We changed the wires, and the same thing with the engine light p0301. But thanks I appreciate the advice.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you jhave changed the plugs and wires, i'd say that all that is left is the coil......