2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Dena1312
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon ES. I bought the car used a little over a year and a half ago in great condition. There had never been any previous problems with the car and until a few months ago everything was okay with it.

For the past few months, the car seems to shutter or shake at random times when driving. Also, when pulling out, or especially when driving up hill, it seems to have very little power and struggles to even go faster. Ive had it checked by multiple mechanics and had diagnostic tests done on it numerous times. The diagnositcs say "Misfire in Cylinder 2" is the problem, but the engine compression was checked in all cylinders and i even had a new fuel injector put in cylinder 2. This was not the problem. When this shaking or struggling takes place, the check engine light begins to blink but rarely stays on. When i take it to the garage to have the memory checked to see what happened, there is never any record of the light having come on. I also had the transmission checked and that was not the problem either.

I was wondering if anyone has had any similar type of problem or would have any idea what could be wrong with it? I was thinking that the computer itself may have something wrong with it but i'm not really sure. Any help or suggestions anyonce could give me would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker
Default RE: check engine light

Check and replace all your spark plugs and wires. Also, what KIND of spark plugs are you using currently? You should stick with the stock copper champions if you switched to a different brand. The stock champions are actually the best for the car.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 PM
neisg1
Veteran
Default RE: check engine light

If the engine light was on it should have stored a code. My guess, if like you say is a misfire on cylinder #2 is code P0302. This happened on my daughters 01 Neon. The fix was a new set of spark plugs and plug wires.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...e-detected.php

Quick Reply: check engine light