2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Removing air filter cover..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:14 PM
mizikega
Default Removing air filter cover..

How on earth do you get the cover off the airfilter? The screws won't turn and I cant figure out how to get the clips off? Any idea? 2004 Dodge neon sxt

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:30 PM
blocks885
Veteran
Default RE: Removing air filter cover..

You have to get those screws off, they're a little hard if it's the first time you're opening it--but if you get the right size, and you put some muscle into it, you'll get them off. Once those are off that whole top comes off. If you want to remove it fully, you take the air filter out and then take out the screws holding in the bottom part and you're all set. The clips are kinda just there but once you get the screws out of the top, the whole thing just comes straight up. Before you screw it back on, when you do get them off, get some never-seize (silver compound) and put them on the screws and then screw them back in. It'll help in the long run. Get it at your local auto-parts store or walmart/kmart probably has it too--it is slightly expensive but it's worth the investment.

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:37 PM
mizikega

So, in other words, force the screws off? The clips will allow it to turn a bit in both directions, but they stop after so far. It's crazy.

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:39 PM
Sawhiskey
All Star

Yeah mine were really hard to get off, I broke one out of anger.

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:46 PM
blocks885
Veteran

Yea it's gonna be a little difficult at first, but either use a drill with a screwdriver attachment or just really turn that sucker. Then after you get it off, never-seize will do the trick so the next time will be much easier!

Old 06-13-2007 | 11:51 PM
mizikega

Thanks man! After giving it another go, knowing it would give, it finally worked! Got eberything done I needed too

Quick Reply: Removing air filter cover..