Print Wikipost

painting rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Acrfanatic
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting rims ?

SO im looking into painting my SRT rims black. Does anyone know the process i would have to go through to do this, and if its possible? My uncle has a paint gun that i am able to use, he paints his cars...what would i need to do to do this?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
nswap7
Captain
Default RE: painting rims ?

they make paint special for rims, cuz i was looking to do that too

Old 06-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Acrfanatic
Professional

where do i find that paint?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:29 PM
nswap7
Captain

ill have to find the link for u

Old 06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Acrfanatic
Professional

alright sounds good man...id appreciate that

Old 06-16-2007, 10:10 PM
AirWolf

So far Ive seen duplicolor flat black or gunmetal or bronze . You can find the rim paint in any autoparts store . Im also thinkin about painting my stock sxt rims bronze or gunmetal before I get my new 18inchers in a few months or so.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM
neon 05
Captain

try your local autobody shop for details and a name brand that would not chip easy!! or you can go with spray can? lol

Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 PM
nswap7
Captain

yah. at advance auto or autozone you can get spray paint thats like long lasting and withstands some insane heat.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:50 PM
neon 05
Captain

How to Paint Your Wheels

Before:

After:
[align=left]Items you need to purchase
- Masking Tape and/or Index cards
- 2-4 cans of Duplicolor Engine Enamel in your color of choice (mine was gloss black)
- 2-4 cans of Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating Clear Coat(if you want to clear coat them)
- Purple Stuff Degreaser, or something similar
- Scotch Brite scuff pad
- AJAX abrasive or similar substance [/align]
The first thing you want to do is get your car in the air and get the wheels off. If you have a full set of jackstands that would be best, but if not.....do what i did and work on two wheels at a time.
Once you remove the wheels, you will want to remove all the weights from them with a pair of pliers and clean them very well with the degreaser and a sponge. After they are nice and clean.....you have reached the part of no return.Time to start scuffing. Pour a generous amount of the AJAX on the scuff pad, and start hitting them with the scuff pad, make sure to get every single little part of them. You want to make sure there are no glossy surfaces when you are finished.

When the wheels are completely dull looking, take some car wash or dishwashing soap, and wash them very well. Rinse, and let dry thoroughly. I used air to dry them off so there's no risk of contamination, but you can just let them set for a long while on a sunny day if you don't have access to an air compressor. When your wheels are completely dry, it's time to mask. Use the masking tape to mask off any parts of the wheel that you don't want painted(i.e. lip, etc.), and then insert the index cards between the tire and wheel to keep you from spraying your tire. I didn't use the cards, I just used tape, so do what you want.....
Now that your wheels are prepped, it's time to shoot them, so go ahead......shoot 'em. Apply a nice light coat at first, just enough to cover. Allow 15-20 minutes in between coats. You should only need 2 good coats. After you are done painting, it's time for clear coat. I personally didn't do it, but if you want to, go ahead. After all is done, you should wait for about 45-90 minutes before you put them back on the car. Now it's time to re-mount them on the car, so get a buddy to help you do this part.

When mounting them back on, one person should hold the wheel, while the other carefully puts the lugs in and tighthens them. If you get some humid and cool nights where you live, the first night you will want to cover your new painted wheels with a trashbag or something to keep them from getting moisture on them. The moisture will cause them to dull.

Have Fun and Happy Painting.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:35 AM
nswap7
Captain

awesome

Quick Reply: painting rims ?