2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Gauge Pod wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
eaks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Pod wiring?

Hey guys.. I just ordered a 3 gauge pod piller along with 3 gauges.. They are a vac gauge, volt gauge and air/fuel gauge.. Im woundering how to wire these up in a 2001 neon LX..

Thanks and link to tutorials are greatly opreaiciated as well as any help..

Thanks

Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Gauge Pod wiring?

vac guage=boooooooo haha no offence, but people will make fun of you for it. anyway how to hook them up:

general stuff: remove negative cable whenever you are working on your car, especially electrical stuff. you prob have to take it out anyway
power and ground. ground to anywhere you want, just make sure they all have a good connection. power is up to you. you can stick them in existing fuses(make sure you put it on teh cold side), which is something i dont recommend for 3 guages. i would reccomend running a relay getting power straight off the battery, and being turned on by something that goes on when the car goes on like sticking it into the radio fuse or something. also make sure you put a fuse on the line to be safe
run all wires through the rubber grommet on teh drivers side. it is in the upper left corner by your feet. hard to get to, but you wont have to worry about getting water anywhere or any drilling.
vac guage: i'm assuming its mechanical, so you run a vaccuum like to it, and then run power and ground wires to wherever you want.

volt guage:not sure how to hook up a volt guage, it cant be too complicated, im assuming its just going to the battery or something.

air/fuel is fun: i hope you have a bung in your downpipe before the cat, because you need one to put an o2 sensor in for it. then depending on what kind, wires might just plug up or something else.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
eaks
Professional

Ok.. so in general.. i run a power wire form the fusebox to all 3 gauges.. then ground all gauges (they all need power and ground and should have additional wires for the rest correct)??

So for teh Vac gauge: I need to run the tubing to where on the car (and then run the power and ground cables)??

VOLT gauge: Pretty sure its right off the battery (so this will be like a reading tho.. and not a power into the gauge tho correct..otherwise the gauge would always be on)

Air/Fuel: Where do i need to splice into the sensor and what sensor am i looking for (i dont know much about cars..hehe)..

Thanks guys!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

vac guage: t off a vaccuume line near the intake manifold and run a vaccuum line to the guage.

a/f guage. i dont think you can splice into the sensor, i think you might need a new one. and its on the exhaust manifold

Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Exubus
Champion

If it's an Autometer air/fuel gauge (and most other brands as far as I know), you don't need an extra O2 sensor. Use the stock O2 sensor on your car before the catalytic converter. If it's an Autometer gauge, the brown wire is +12V, the blue wire is -12V, and the black wire is the signal wire, which you hook up to the signal wire on the O2 sensor. It does not draw any significant current from the O2 sensor, so you don't have to worry about it messing with your ECU. You can also hook into the signal wire from the O2 sensor where it splices into the ECU in the front of your car, if you don't feel like running the wire to the bottom where the O2 sensor actually is.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
eaks
Professional

ok thanks.. what wire is the O2 sensor i need to splice into? and where is it located in the engine bay?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

its located on teh exhaust manifold which is on teh back of the engine. make sure you dont start working on it untill the car cooled off overnight or something. the exhause components get hotter than you would like to know, trust me. you will prob have to take the heat sheild off, which isnt too hard. not sure what wire you need to splice into though

Old 07-17-2007, 09:08 PM
eaks
Professional

Ya.. what about the ECU wires.. cant i just splice into the sensor wire there?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Exubus
Champion

Yes, you can, and that may be somewhat more convenient overall in the interest of wire routing.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
eaks
Professional

Ya.. but what wire is it in the ECU? and does anyone have a pic..

Quick Reply: Gauge Pod wiring?