2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Starting problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
thexoxend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems?

Hey guys. I know I haven't posted on here in a loooong time, but I've been busy doing other things and haven't really had time to check on here. Anyway, I've been having some trouble with my '05 sxt the past couple days and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

The other night at work as I was getting ready to leave, I of course, start my car. It doesn't start. It turns over, runs for a split second then quits. It did this about 3 times before it actually started. When it did finally start, it still sounded like it wanted to quit, so I just gave it some gas and it was alright after that. When it first started I smelled gas.

Does ANYONE know what could be causing this? This is about the second time it's happened since I've had the car. I got some advice from someone at work, and they said it could be the fuel filter. I don't know when the last time was they were changed. I haven't touched them since I've had the car, and I don't know if the person who had it before me ever changed them. But if it is that, then where is it so I can have the boyfriend change it so I don't have to take it to the garage and get raped on the price.

I hope someone can help out a little bit.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Mike594sxt
Professional
Default RE: Starting problems?

Try doing the ignition trick, and see what codes you get.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
thexoxend

What exactly IS the ignition trick? Sorry, you're talking to someone who knows absolutely nothing about cars.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 AM
nswap7
Captain

turn the key.. on,off,on,off is what he's talkin about. if somethin is up you'll get some code(s) thrown to you.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM
thexoxend

Hmm, thanks. I'll try it. It did it again yesterday to my boyfriend when he left work. And it took 5 times for me to start it today when I left work. It's pretty irritating.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Mike594sxt
Professional

Gotta do on/off/on/off/on. Keep in mind, you're not trying to start the car, just turning the key into the on position everytime. You should get a string of codes. Write those codes down, then go to this link:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_409789/tm.htm

From here you'll get explanations for your codes. Once you have that, come back here and tell us what they are.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:37 PM
thexoxend

Ok guys. I did the whole ignition trick thing and NOTHING came up. It just said done. I did it multiple times and everytime it said nothing besides that. I don't get it. There's obviously something wrong with it but I got nothing as for codes. Somebody said it could be the alternator, my brother-in-law said spark plugs and wires.. but I'm at a loss. [sm=smiley6.gif]

Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 PM
swimmer07
Veteran

hey, so i'm kinda like you, i dont know that much about cars, but i asked my dad and he says that it's more than likely the fuel filter.. not sure where exactly it is though.. so good luck to you

Old 09-02-2007, 09:17 PM
thexoxend

Thanks for the possibility. That was one of my first ideas too. Now here's my next question to all of you.. Where is the fuel filter? lol. As I said in the beginning post.. I haven't changed it, so I'm not sure where it is.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:20 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

i think its located on the passenger side just infront of the gas tank. (under the car) just follow the fuel lines. there is a cover over it.

Quick Reply: Starting problems?