2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

another tach question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 PM
tankhardrive
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another tach question

im installing a tach on my neon... i kno i kno i dont need it cuz i already have one and i know a new panel is easier to put on but i want the big tach and shift light. i have been reading all the posts on tachs and really havent found the answer.

that being said i wired it all up power lights ground all worked but when it came to wiring up the green wire so it could read my rpms i ran into problems. first with the 2nd gen i guess i need a tach adapter because our cars give off a 2 cy signal.... but i dont want to dish out the 60$ for one. my question is cant i just splice into the wire running to my tach already? and if i can which wire is it i cant figure it out and dont want to randomy start splicing wires lol. if i cant do that then i know where the wire is off my coil but the green wire i have isnt long enough to reach through the firewall. so does that wire run into the car. i would think it does in some way shape of form but could be wrong.

thanks in advance.

on a side note i ordered megasquirt and will ATTEMPT to install it.... lol i will probably fail horribly have no idea how to do it.... o well.... but should i wait on the tach until i wire up megasquirt donno if i can just wire up the tach into it?

again thanks.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: another tach question

You need the tach adapter, if you splice into the existing wire the signal will be sporadic and the needle will just jump around.

As for MS, unless you've read through every page of the MagaManual twice and know this system by heart, I wouldnt have gone out and purchased a MegaSquirt...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 AM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

yeah, the cluster reads 2 cylinders... so you need a tach adaptor... and the wire you're looking for is the grey/black wire running into the ignition coil... extend the wire if you can't reach.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:39 AM
contagious19
Champion

i just recieved my tach adapter today, ima install it tomorrow. but i believe dodgeneonz bought a tach dat doesnt need a tach adapter.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 AM
tankhardrive
Professional

yeah i was afraid i was gonna need one.... o well i might put off the tach for a little i need my money for finishing my turbo only missing like 2 things now......

Quick Reply: another tach question