2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

questions!! please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 AM
warmfire540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions!! please help

okay...so i have a turbocharged dodge neon. it's a 2000 model, i threw in a garret t3 turbo in it
i had a shop do injectors, and a greddy e-manage system
they pretty much had no idea what they were doing
it ran constantly rich
i put in a fuel pressure regulator inline right before the fuel rail
a few times it ran lean
i'm pretty sure it's detonated once or more because my piston rings are severely cracked
maybe even the pistons also
the car pretty much spits gas out my tail pipe, i haven't turned on my car in about 3 weeks because it pisses me off attempting to drive it, i live on campus now so i don't really need to drive
the cheapest route is to do an engine swap, i can easily get another 2000 engine for around 600bucks
but, i was wondering..is there anyway i can use uppper year engines?
would it affect anything if i threw in a 2003-4 engine in my car? from the neon line?
or maybe swapped another engine (other than srt-4)?
i want to be in contact w/ another enthusiasts who knows what they are talking about!
thanks so much guys
just e-mail me at warmfire540@aol.com

Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Default RE: questions!! please help

I think a 2003-04 engine will drop right in. dont quote me on that, but I think they are the same design

Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

I emailed u warmfire

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Same overall design but some of the engine electronics, crank, pistons, sensores. etc are different so it would take almost the same amount of work to get an 03-05 2.0 SOHC as it does an 03-05 2.4 DOHC into an 00-02 Neon.

If you decide to swap in a 03-05 engine (SRT-4 or regular SOHC) you'll need to swap over everything, including the engine wiring harness, PCM, etc...

Your best best is to find a 2000-2002 block, put in some low compression pistons, forged rods, and for fuel either run MegaSquirt and tune yourself, or get a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator and return line and tune fuel that way.

If you can find a SRT-4 2.4 engine in good condition, with all the parts, that would give you a much more reliable build comapred to a turbo 2.0, especially if you really dont know what your doing as far as building and tuning is concerned.

ORIGINAL: warmfire540

I see, well i want to do an SRT-4 swap, but i'll just have a wasted 2.0l turbo hanging around!
I'm pretty set on the turboing the 2.0 engine, i'm planning on buying a 2.0 engine and upgrading the internals, it be alot cheaper than finding 2000 block because i believe i have some head problems too "valves leaking, etc"

And how do i run a fuel return? I heard that's better than the what the neon has stock which i'm pretty sure is just one way

what exactly is the "rising rate fuel regulator"? is that just the one that has a vacuum/boost nipple on it to change pressure via boost?
because i have that
Since your running an E-Manage already, the regulator you have installed is a 1:1 Fuel Pressure Regulator, which is good for use with the E-Manage, MegaSquirt, etc. If you decide to go to the fuel return method you'll need a RRFPR, this is what a RRFPR looks like:
[IMG]local://upfiles/24091/08E2657BBDE94C5790BE612866A17650.jpg[/IMG]
To run a fuel return line, you have two options: The first option is to buy a return line kit that comes with everything you need. The second option is to make your own return line and then modify your fuel canister (Spoolboy Mod) to accept the return line.

Quick Reply: questions!! please help