2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

One problem fixed... now another one!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
tronkity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One problem fixed... now another one!

So I posted a while back about my temp gauge spiking. I have a 2000 dodge neon with 87,000 miles. It turned out to be electrical. So we fixed the problem and drove the car for6 days no problems. From Orange County to San Diego this weekend and back with no problems. Drove it to work and back fine on Monday and then yesterday on the way home from work I heard a little bit of squeaking when i make hard right turns. Thought nothing of it. Temp gauge was fine. Made my 4 mile drive home and made the hard right into the alley and heard the squeaking again and smelled coolant. I popped the hood and it appeared to be wet from coolant stemming down from the cap to the engine.

Think it could be the water filter? What other things should I check?

We checked the radiator hose, head gasket andreplaced the thermostatthe last time I took it in and it was fine. The radiator is fine. If I wasn't about to get laid off from my job I would just trade it in on a new car.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: One problem fixed... now another one!

well if it was coming out of the radiator cap that means that it was too hot and the pressure was too high, so the cap relieved it. that means your car is still overheating. when was the last time you changed your coolant?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
tronkity

First off that's one hot neon you have there! Sexy car.

Anywho I flushed the radiator last week. I think my boyfriend didn't screw the cap on right and he's too macho to admit it. the temperature was fine all weekend too. i'm stumped. i'll post what i find when i get it up in the air.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think maybe he might have filled it too much...... or there isn't the right mixture in there..... i have to flush my coolant soon...sorry just a sidenote... but anyways i would check to see if the coolant is at the right level both when the car is cold and fully warmed up... before that however i would take the cap off the radiator while the car is cool and put it on right... check to see if there is any damage to either the cap or where is screws on...... and if its just when you turn right it is possible that something is hitting the coolant bottle and causing the pressure to rise.... other than that... did it smell like coolant or did it smell realllllllllllly nasty(smell the power steering dipstick and you will know what i mean by nasty...) .... check your power steering fluid level b/c it could be your powersteering system leaking and not your coolant....

Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
tronkity

Checked the power steering fluid. it definitely needs to be changed but there's enough in there. it wasn't the power steering fluid leaking. it looks likemy boyfriendput the cap on wrong and for some reason it didn't go crazy until 6 days after he touched it. He also replaced the radiator hose yesterday too just incase. We're going to vegas next week so I went ahead and bought AAA for us just incase we get stuck in the neon on the way to vegas. It looks like it's fine now but you may see me in a couple days posting AGAIN! hehehe.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol as long as u dont have to leave the neon in vegas i think it'll be all good.... lol but good luck and win enough money to buy an SRT4 for yourself.... and possibly me *wink* lol

Quick Reply: One problem fixed... now another one!