2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Transmission Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
pcasanov
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Sticks

Wife has a 2001 Neon SE with 197K miles. Have invested thousands in repair and maintenance (Engine, Electrical, complete brake system, etc.) All though miles are high, they are all highway miles. Car has Automatic Transmission.

Recently, tranny would shift early to 3rd gear and when coming to a stop it would not release 3rd until the very end where it would all most shut off the car. After some research, took the car into the shop and mechanic told me that it was Torque Converter. Had that replaced. Would release 3rd now when coming from stop as normal but would still shift into 3rd around 1800 RPM causing sluggish performance. After 3 weeks with new torque convert car is now doing the same thing as before with engaging into 3rd early and not releasing 3rd into the very end.

Need Help!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I own only Dodge
Professional
Default RE: Transmission Sticks

To me it sounds like your torque converter lock out solonid, I had an older grand am that did the same, ecxcept mine staed locked and would kill the engine whwn you came to a stop.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
pcasanov

Does the Neon have one like this? Tried looking up this part on Napa Online and could not find it.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: pcasanov

Does the Neon have one like this? Tried looking up this part on Napa Online and could not find it.
napa wont have this part. its probably a dealer part.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude if u got 194k miles out of that motor i'd pat you on the back seriously..... congrats...... now go buy yourself a SRT4 motor and learn how to drive stick and you will be all set!!! but as for your problem i second the lock out solenoid being bad but i wouldn't be surprized if your either low on trans fluid or just need a new one..... have it looked at would be my opinion...

Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I own only Dodge
Professional

Ok im proofreading my posts from now on, I typed that last one like a drunk!!!lol

But yea Im pretty sure its gonna be a dealer part, cheap part to but labor is the bitch.unless ou feel inclined.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sticks