2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Transmission fluid foaming out tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 PM
terryguys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid foaming out tube

I changed the transmission fluid on our 05 Neon with 80,000 miles on it last week. I purchased the filter kit from Advanced Auto and used their brand ATF +4 fluid. Since that time I have noticed a small puddle of ATF fluid under the car everytime I get home. The last few days when I got home I popped open the hood and noticed there is foam coming out the ATF dipstick tube. Thinking I may have overfilled the fluid I have checked it several times and it shows half way between hot and cold on the dipstick.
The transmisson seems to operate and shift ok and have no problems.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or how to remedy the problem???
Thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Transmission fluid foaming out tube

Did you drop the pan?

I would almost bet anything that you over torqued the pan and tore the gasket.

Because i'm in the same situation...too lazy to fix it. It was fine for a while, then I did some WOT racing the other day and smelled tranny fluid inside the cabin. When I jacked up the car tonight I saw residue everywhere...

Old 11-03-2007, 10:48 AM
blk94z28
Professional

Just to make sure I am assuming you did check the fluid level with the car running? If not let the car run and check the fluid and see where it is at than.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

how much fluid did you put in? It doues sound like you have to much fluid...... i would try doing it again.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 PM
terryguys

Yes, I did drop the pan and put new filter in. I did use the gasket supplied with kit but it did leak with that gasket so I took it back off and just used some Permatex black sealant with no gasket. Seemed to seal it real good and does not appear to leak anywhere around the pan, only out the fill tube as foam. If there was a bad spot with the gasket material, not sealed good and letting air in, wouldn't it also leak transmission fluid while the car is sitting and turned of??.
I also checked the fluid level on level surface with motor running and in park about half an hour after getting home so to let the foam go down and I could get a good reading.As I mentioned, it was half way between hot and cold.
Anyone think it could be the fluid?? As I said, it is the Advanced Auto brand fluid. After I did the job I was in Walmart and saw they had Mopar brand ATF +4 fluid for about twice the price I paid for the Advanced Auto fluid. Just thought maybe it had more anti-foaming agents then the house brand I got.
Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 PM
neonxst05
Rookie

I would never use anything else except the Mopar Oil. These trannys are very sencitive to the kind of oil you put in there.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid foaming out tube