2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Official 2nd gen offtopic thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
GrApHite03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official 2nd gen offtopic thread...

they don't use the blue-ray laser for games.Games are still using DVD9

actually the HD-DVD laser is also a blue ray, sony was able to copywrite the name. The media is what sets them apart.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:58 PM
GrApHite03

Interesting...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/09/n...d-and-blu-ray/

We've been tempering our enthusiasm about the possibility of next-gen hybrid HD DVD / Blu-ray player -- mostly because of Samsung and their fear of commitment -- but Ricoh's new lasers have got us feeling a little more optimistic. Using a 1mm thick diffraction plate with concentric grooves on each side, the new lasers can recognize what kind of disc you've inserted into a drive (be it CD, DVD, HD DVD or BD) and adjust the beam to play it. The ability to write data is further off because of the extra fire power necessary to make up for light lost to diffraction, but until the price of blank media comes down, we won't be worrying about that too much anyway. Ricoh is hoping to start supplying manufacturers with these by the end of this year, so barring any legal and or licensing nonsense, Samsung (or others) could actually make good on their original plan to be the "world's first" to market with a hybrid player by early 2007. We won't be holding our breath, though, not on this one.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
blackflame
Captain

Right, I know its not used for games. But why not, thats my question. Its a data storage disc. It can be done.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:09 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: blackflame

Right, I know its not used for games. But why not, thats my question. Its a data storage disc. It can be done.
i dont think it can BUT i have not researched it enough. If it can not, if games were made on blu-ray discs, it would make the ps3 useless wouldn't it?

Old 12-07-2007, 04:16 PM
blackflame
Captain

well if you just use common information and knowledge about computers, drives, and storage disc...there really isn't thing saying it wouldn't work just like they used DVD ROMs. It would make the PS3 better. They could have games that have 60gbs of information as opposed to xbox 360s 7gbs. The possibilities would be increased so much. The owner of whoever makes Gran Turismo always talks about how he is soooo limited to disk space.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:16 PM
GrApHite03

I'm sure if it was that easy, it would be done already. I think its more to do with the cost of producing games on those discs.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Pharmboy
Veteran

well if you just use common information and knowledge about computers, drives, and storage disc...there really isn't thing saying it wouldn't work just like they used DVD ROMs. It would make the PS3 better. They could have games that have 60gbs of information as opposed to xbox 360s 7gbs. The possibilities would be increased so much. The owner of whoever makes Gran Turismo always talks about how he is soooo limited to disk space.
As far as I know they could get it to run games off the blue ray laser with a firmware upgrade most likely, the problems would be that a new type of blueray disc for data may have to be developed, and the amount of memory the system runs would limit the usefulness of the bigger discs. The idea would be great for games like Gran Turismo, where they would just make the game longer, but it wouldn't have an effect on much else. You probably won't see anything like it until the next generation of gaming comes out when the graphics and memory warrant that amount of disc storage.

Basically something like that would throw off the balance of the system, other things would need to be upgraded to attain a great deal of use from it.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Pharmboy

As far as I know they could get it to run games off the blue ray laser with a firmware upgrade most likely, the problems would be that a new type of blueray disc for data may have to be developed, and the amount of memory the system runs would limit the usefulness of the bigger discs. The idea would be great for games like Gran Turismo, where they would just make the game longer, but it wouldn't have an effect on much else. You probably won't see anything like it until the next generation of gaming comes out when the graphics and memory warrant that amount of disc storage.

Basically something like that would throw off the balance of the system, other things would need to be upgraded to attain a great deal of use from it.
sounds like it makes sense lol

Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Andpto
All Star

ORIGINAL: Adionik

Graphite looks SOOOOO happy in his ID pic.

Serial killer turbo neon driver!
LOL

Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Mat00ES
Captain

Im a cook at a local resturant. Its not too bad, plus I need the money. My cars a damn money pit and its still stock.

Mat

Quick Reply: Official 2nd gen offtopic thread...