2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
michael23lem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

I was wondering if it would smarter to swap my 2000 sohc for a srt4 engine instead of buying all of the aftermarket parts for the sohc because i want to do a turbo i dont know what would cost more or less i checked the forums they didn't help and would the srt4 bolt right up to my trany it'sa 5 speedany help would be great

Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Yako
Captain
Default RE: engine swap

im not so sure but i think u would have to use a 03+tranny with computer also do some other mods to fit it in there but ill let someone else fully answer ur questions

Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

No, you'd have to/ want to used the T850 SRT tranny

Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Andpto
All Star

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

No, you'd have to/ want to used the T850 SRT tranny

+1

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Andpto
All Star

Also try to get an 04 or or 05 tranny so you can get the LSD.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
MJND1990
Professional

On http://www.srt-4store.com/index.php?page=swapsthey offer a SRT-4 swap complete with everything you need for $5500, slightly more for an 00-02 Neon, so say its 6000. If your were to build the 2.0 SOHC. You would spend about $2100 combined on a top and a bottom end rebuild kit from modern performance. That includes a Crane cam new Stage 2 pistons etc. Then invest$3300 for the Hahn Stage 2 turbo kit. Throw on a intake, exhaust and high performance clutch and the car will be putting out 300+, just with those mods, running the turbo at low boost. Crank the boost and you could run 400, and the engine should take itconsidering its rebuilt. The total price for all that would be about $6500-$6800. Thats more than the SRT-4 swap, but your also making at LEAST 70hp than the SRT-4 engine stock. You could get a Mopar Stage 2 fromSRT-4 Store but that aout another $2500, if I remember correctly, and it will be running it on the stock engine internals. Its up to you.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 AM
contagious19
Champion

yea u should swap da engine and tranny, but i believe there is alot more u need for a complete swap
heres some info
Q: What do I need to get the SRT-4 engine in my 2nd Gen?
A: For the SRT-4 turbo engine, you will need the following parts:

Engine and Tranny
Complete Engine Wiring Harness
Complete Engine Bay Wiring Harness
Power Steering Pump, lines, and cooler
Clutch master and slave cylinder
Clutch/Brake Pedal assembly
Intercooler Piping
Intercooler
Radiator Hoses
Tranny, Upper and Lower Motor Mounts (the holes are larger on the the upper and lower mounts for larger bolts and the tranny mount is completely different)
SRT PCM (wont' need the bracket with 03+)
Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine)
Coolant Bottle
Fuel Line (from tank to engine bay)
Fuel Pump
Flex Fuel Line (from solid fuel line to fuel rail)
Short evap hose that comes from the purge valve
All vacuum lines and the 3 selonids
o2 Sensors
Turbo Housing + O2 Housing
Lower Control Arms (they're stronger yet the same in shape)
Sentry Key Module + Key that matches the PCM VIN number.
Radiator

Some options parts would include:

SRT Power steering rack (it's shorter)
Knuckles
Flexiable Brake Lines
Calipers
Rotors

Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
SXTspeed
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MJND1990

On http://www.srt-4store.com/index.php?page=swapsthey offer a SRT-4 swap complete with everything you need for $5500, slightly more for an 00-02 Neon, so say its 6000. If your were to build the 2.0 SOHC. You would spend about $2100 combined on a top and a bottom end rebuild kit from modern performance. That includes a Crane cam new Stage 2 pistons etc. Then invest$3300 for the Hahn Stage 2 turbo kit. Throw on a intake, exhaust and high performance clutch and the car will be putting out 300+, just with those mods, running the turbo at low boost. Crank the boost and you could run 400, and the engine should take itconsidering its rebuilt. The total price for all that would be about $6500-$6800. Thats more than the SRT-4 swap, but your also making at LEAST 70hp than the SRT-4 engine stock. You could get a Mopar Stage 2 fromSRT-4 Store but that aout another $2500, if I remember correctly, and it will be running it on the stock engine internals. Its up to you.
While the srt-4store swap might seem like a good idea, be cautious. Hopefully you read the fine print at the bottom. I remember when I found that link last year and I was excited, but then I read that the engine is from a wrecked car (most engine swaps are tho...) and you will have no idea of the mileage until you get the car unless you specifically ask for it most likely. Also, the speedo will be inaccurate unless you buy the $700 suspension swap and purchase bigger tires...it could add up to as much as a 2.0 build-up. If you do decide to get a SRT swap there, just make sure you get the facts before you go ahead, and try to take an active part in the swap if possible

Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

search about the forums. there are complete how-tos/ picture journal type threads on the swap

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

I would not do a swap, but that is just me, granted u can get more power, but building a 2.0 is becoming very uncommon...... the 2.4 swaps on the other hand r very very common, but i have a TON of money invested in a 2.0, but i am hoping to be getting 400hp out of it, and so far i have seen one or two of them in a 2.0..... to each his own i guess..... by the end of the winter i am going to have in a rough estement, of 10k.... to get that much power out of a 2.4 is alot cheaper.....

Quick Reply: engine swap