2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

got rid of fog light and woo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
blackflame
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got rid of fog light and woo!

So I finely removed the fog light. Boy, it really makes a difference. So I covered up where the fog light was with plastic and tape. got a stop watch and put my bro in the car to do the stop watch thing lol. Did three runs in 2nd gear from 1500 rpm to 5000rpm. With the plastic covering the whole my times were 7.50, 7.60, 7.65 seconds. I removed the the plastic, uncovering the whole, my times were 7.23, 7.15. After the second run I just decided that is was a big difference. Using the best times from the car with whole covered and uncovered it made a .35s difference.

These aren't 1/4 mile runs so it could be an even bigger difference. The thing that could defeat this is the fact that plastic basically sealed the whole off. The fog light doesn't, so it may be a smaller difference than what i got. But after removing the fog light it was so tight to the fascia it was basically sealing off air.

The only other person that tried this that i know of was graphite. And I think that he may help more with the 03+ neons or may not help at all. The fog light on the 03+ neons are directly over the air filter. On the 2000-2002 neons thats not the case. Even looking through the fog light whole I can barely see the air filter. However, the 03+ foglights still leave a lot of room for air to get into the intake. So, I don't know. I took pictures but my computer isn't really cooperating with me.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
GrApHite03
Default RE: got rid of fog light and woo!

don't forget about human error... take it to the track to get some real numbers. I also went a step further and took out my headlight at the track.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

I'm curious about this... surely the fogs dont weigh a few 100 pounds.... rule of thumb. every 100 pounds you gain 1/10th a second.

and surely the fogs dont make much of an aerodynamic diff do they?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

I'm curious about this... surely the fogs dont weigh a few 100 pounds.... rule of thumb. every 100 pounds you gain 1/10th a second.

and surely the fogs dont make much of an aerodynamic diff do they?
It's got nothing to do with weight... Think about where your intake sits in the fender.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i have seen several cars at the track remove their headlight where their intake sits, never thought it worked but i guess it does! It makes sense as their is nothing to obstruct the air, that way it hits the intake better

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

im sure it didnt make THAT much of a difference with the fog missing. maybe with the whole thing covered, but having no fog prob hurts the looks more than it helps performance, but thats just my $.02

Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
blackflame
Captain

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

don't forget about human error... take it to the track to get some real numbers. I also went a step further and took out my headlight at the track.
right, thats why I did a few runs to get it more accurate. Thats why I also stayed in one gear and it was from a roll. This way I really can't mess up driving...i just gotta floor it. However, .35s is extremely fast so its still hard to say. And from each test is did very from .10 - .15s difference. But the numbers drastically changed out of no where so it does help. I want to take it to the track and see. I'm not putting that thing back in though. Getting that out was the worst. And like spikey said, plastic is a little different than the fog light. Idk, maybe I can just toss it in there and use a few screws.

Did your numbers get better without the headlight? I mean...after doing this...I just want to rip the whole front bumper off lol.

Quick Reply: got rid of fog light and woo!