2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Directly wiring my Radar Detector for power

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Camien
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Directly wiring my Radar Detector for power

I'm putting a plan together to directly power my Valentine-One off existing wires, as I'm sick of the power cable hanging down in front of my A/C controls and head unit. I've looked into it, they supply you with the splice required and all the needed wiring, I just need to find a 12V wire that only has power when the ignition is in the ON position. I don't have access to a multimeter atm, so I'm heading over to the parents place this weekend to take a closer look at it.

Things I believe I'll need to know:

How to remove the A pillar trim
How to remove the headliner
Where a 12v wire is (I've already found that the map light wires will work great if they're 12V which will keep me from having to remove the a pillar trim, but I'd still like to conceal the splice in the headliner so everything looks clean)

So if anyone has any information on how to do any of the above, I'd greatly appreciate it.

PS. I've poked around using the search function already to find everything I could think of and there were no definitive answers on any of it, I took my door consoles apart right after I first got the car to install some speakers and ended up messing a few things up, so I figure I'd try to learn from those who may have made the same mistakes I will without their instruction.

Thanks =D

Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Directly wiring my Radar Detector for power

well im assumingg you have the radar detector on the bottom of the windshield like most people so just get one of those wiring kits for it, i got mine at best buy a while back. one wire goes to ground and one to 12v which you can put it into a fuse like the radio fuse in teh fusebox. just make sure you put it on the cold side of the fuse

Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Camien
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually you want the radar detector up as high as possible without being behind the polarized portion of the windshield. Which is why I want to run the wires through the headliner and A pillar. I already have a wiring kit for it, I just need an accessable 12V wire. I've already planned on splicing into a 12V wire thats behindmy head unit if I have to, I was just curious if anyone knew where one was that I could splice into before that. Examples: The Map Light Power Wire, any wires that might be standard which run through the headliner or A Pillar on either side.

I also want to know how to remove the headliner and A Pillar trim without causing any damage to either.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

hmmmmm like mine?

Name:  RadarRe-wire.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  39.7 KB

its really easy. You need a wiring kit, and its easy to run up through the headliner and behind the a-pillar. It is a 5 minute thing. You just need to find a fuse that works.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

ok then my mistake...the a pilare just comes off, just pull it straight off. be careful that you dont break clips. and just shove it under the headliner, no need to take it off. just run it down the a pillar to the fusebox. you can ground it to the metal there

Quick Reply: Directly wiring my Radar Detector for power