2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Help me with my brakes..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:22 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my brakes..

Okay, so I was working on installing guages in my car and was working in the engine bay and I happened to notice that it looks like my car has been leaking brake fluid from the brake fluid resevoir (master cylinder reservior(????)). Does anyone have any idea as to what is wrong or why it is leaking? I haven't noticed any problems with my brakes when stopping, my pedal does seem to pulsate a little bit. And according to my FSM, it says "rear brake drum out of round or disc brake rotor has excessive thickness variation". Neither of which that would explain why it appears to be leaking there.

And a bit off my original question....okay, really off my topic. Does anyone know if the warranty covers seats, because the stiching is coming out on my drivers seat. Which pisses me off because I didn't do anything other than sit in it and drive, and its not like I'm a fatass or something. I might just be visiting the dealer because I know the brakes are under warranty.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
morningpride
Veteran
Default RE: Help me with my brakes..

Ok,
The master cyl, is it leaking from the resevoir, or from the back where the cyl mounts to the booster? if it is the resevoir, it's possably the seals where the resevoir mounts to the cyl.
If it's leaking where the unit mounts to the firewall, it is an internal problem.
At any rate, Hydraulic leaks are all covered under the 3-36.

As for the vibration, all neons do it, crappy brake rotors. If you are over 1 year & 12,000 miles, you're gonna need to pay for them to be resurfaced yourself.

The seat should damn well be covered, if they give you ****, just scream and yell, that should do the trick.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:01 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Okay, I did not look that closely at it since I don't know a lot about brake systems. I just noticed that fluid was on the cap where you put fluid in and on the tank. As for vibrations I can honestly say I don't remember mine doing it before a couple weeks ago. Maybe its just more noticeable now, at any rate, I'm going to have them look at it because brakes are sort of vital to the car. It just sort of struck me as something being wrong when I saw that. And I will certainly bitch at them about the seat, I didn't a thing to it and the seam is coming apart. It shouldn't be doing that. And I am over 12,000 miles, but I am under a year...so looks like I'll be paying if rotors are what the problem is. Maybe time to get some better rotors if thats the problem?

Old 12-13-2004, 01:09 AM
casper
Legend

I don't know the full details on the warenty, but I would have them check the brakes. I would bitch about the seats too, its an 04, the seats should last just a little bit longer than that, I have a 98 with almost 150,000 on it and my seats are perfect except for a cigarette burn. The fluid on the cap, if its onlt on the cap and not on the lower part of the booster, then I would say that it was just a spill when it was filled.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:24 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yeah, but what troubles me is that I don't ever recall seeing it there before. The cap is tight too, I checked it. And I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid now because I see that there is fluid on the reservior, but I noticed my brake pedal is pulsating slightly which I don't recall it ever doing before (brakes still work the same as before, but its something I want checked out before something goes wrong if there is something wrong). But I am going to have them inspect it, take a look at my seat because it shouldn't be doing that and if they give me problems, I will give them problems and lots of them. I need to pick up a part from the dealer anyways.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:59 AM
casper
Legend

Best thing to do is to have the dealer check it out, I mean it could be a master cylynder, slave cylender in the rear. If they do give you problems walk up to the nearest salesman talking to a customer, trying to sell them a car and start talking about the "wonderful service" that the dealership offers, that tends to work pretty quick.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yep, its going into the dealer in a week to have both looked at and repaired (if there is anything wrong with my brakes, which I'm not sure if there is).

Quick Reply: Help me with my brakes..