2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

AFX computer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFX computer

I am leaning towards getting a AFX Computer really soon (unless I change my mind and go with the fiberglass hood). I was wondering which computer I should get (street or racing). As far as the engine, I currently have the Pacesetter header and cat-back system, AEM CAI, AFX underdrive pulley, Accel 19lb fuel injectors, 60mm throttle body and Prothane Motor Mount Inserts. I think that's it. Well anyway, how much hp do you think I will get out of the street computer and how much with the racing computer? Are any additional products or bolt-on products required?
I wan't my engine to last for a while too[&:].

Installation:
Where exactly is the computer located? Wouldn't I have to remove my cold air intake?

Old 12-27-2004, 02:55 PM
GroundControl
Veteran
Default RE: AFX computer

im preety sure on my 02 its on the radiator down where the old air box went on the drivers side. its grayish with wires comming out of each end.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:59 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Oh yeah, I have a 2000 Dodge Neon ES (SOHC).

As far as additional products, uprocker arms / lash adjusters are only required for the racing computer on the DOHC right? Are those the only additional required products for any of the computers?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2004, 08:06 PM
RT_Driver
Professional

The lifters and rockers issue was for the 1st gen DOHC. SOHC don't have that problem. You will see better gains with the race computer over the street one. I have had the race one on my car for over 4 yrs. now with no problems.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:01 PM
lblackneon
Champion

I read that the race computer could melt your cat converter, only in high rpm's right? Don't forget, I have the Pacesetter cat-back and header; it's not stainless steel (meaning it's not as good of a material). I still have the stock cat converter (which I believe is stainless steel).

Old 12-27-2004, 09:08 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Your computer is from Howell Right? Have you gone into the engine? If you have what have you done? Just curious[&:]

Old 12-27-2004, 10:12 PM
RT_Driver
Professional

Yes it's for howell. I had the stock cat on for two years with no problems. It runs just fine with stock internals.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:22 AM
lblackneon
Champion

I just heard that it is best to get your cylinder heads ported before you get a computer. It's pretty obvious that computers aren't the best for your engine b/c it is pushing it to the limit but, he basically said by porting, it wont hurt your engine. The reaosn this bothers me is because he had a bad experience with a computer (it wasn't a Neon though). Does that sound right or does it not matter?[X(]
I really don't want to reduce the life of my engine by a lot. Alittle wont hurt though.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

There is no need to port the head for the computer. You'd be fine. I'd get teh Race computer though, the street one isn't much over stock.

Be prepared to run pig *** rich with it though. And don't ever plan on going turbo unless you go back to a stock computer because crazy amounts of fuel + boost generally ='s B00M!!!

I've got an AF/X race in my 1st gen Neon right now. I like it but I'm getting tired of running ridiculously rich.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 PM
lblackneon
Champion

How many miles do both of you (RT and Squee) get out of a tank?
I planned on leaving my c. converter on my car. With the race computer they say it is best to take your c. converter off. Will it hurt anything if I get (race) and leave my converter on?

Quick Reply: AFX computer