2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

weird thing happened

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:29 AM
2004sxt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird thing happened

Driving my girlfriend to her dentist appointment today and after she got her filling done I got into my car and started it up and for some odd reason my f-ing check engine light chimed on. I took it immediately to the dealer and they pluged in the computer analyzer thing-a-majiggy and it said that it had a MULTIPLE MISFIRE PISTON something or other? The guy said that it could be a fluke because of the unseasonably warm to cold to warm to cold temperature changes we've been having here in west michigan. Just wondering if this has happened to anybody and whether or not I should really worry about it or not? I understand yes, maybe it COULD in fact be a fluke but I just don't want anything to happen to my baby

Old 01-07-2005, 03:34 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: weird thing happened

It is not too uncommon to have drivability problems when weather does odd things like unseasonably warm or cold weather. It has to do with the volitility of the fuel and the fact that the makers of our gas make winter and summer blends. If you have trouble once I would not worry about it but too much and try another brand of fuel.

Obviously if it keeps occuring then you may have a real problem not just incorrectly formulated gasoline for the current environment.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:39 AM
2004sxt
Veteran

I've been thinking lately about trying the new "Shell V-Power" fuel at our local shell station, however the only thing I'm concerned about is this...

I've never used anything but regular 87 octane fuel in any of my cars I've ever owned. Then recently I saw an online add asking me to look into shell v-power. It sounds likes it's a really superior/sufficient fuel for my vehicle. I'm just unsure as to whether or not it's going to be safe on my baby. Is it ok to put super fuel in regular fuel cars? [sm=feedback.gif]

Old 01-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

Ok. I'd give it a tune-up if I were. Did he tell you which cylinders are miss firing?

Is the CEL still on?

You could've just checked those codes yourself and saved a trip to the dealer.

Heres the link to chekc for the codes:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_63384/tm.htm

And here is the other one:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_126008/tm.htm

Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 AM
ewetho
All Star

Will not hurt your car. Just accidentaly did it to my car the other day myself. Your car will not run any better with it on 99.9% of the time. I used to run it in another car for the reason that if you clutched out at idle it would knock badly. Would not wit 92. Milage was exeactly the same. Octane is just its resistance to burn. So if designed to run on 87 adding 92 will only make it less likely to knock which it is already designed no to do.

No harm no foul. However the premium does have more detergents in the fuel make it run a little cleaner. A goo FI cleaner once an oil change will do just fine.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:01 AM
2004sxt
Veteran

The guy that pluged in the computer said that it was probably a fluke but to have me bring it in immediately if the check engine light comes on again. So no it hasn't come back on since midday today.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:14 AM
ewetho
All Star

Good advice actually. Hopefully all is fine. If you are getting near 30K mile change spark plugs too. I have read about plug wire problems too. Just take a good look at them and if OK probably not a prob. If you go a Multi-Meter then 6K-12K Ohms a foot.

Quick Reply: weird thing happened