2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

random jerking like at about 2300rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: random jerking like at about 2300rpm

Don't waste any more money on the Accel or MSD packs than you have to... there is virtually no difference between the packs at all. I should know, I used to make the Diamond packs (the stock OEM pack that came with your car). And they are very reliable and consistent, usually all posts firing at 43,900 to 44,200 volts. These values will not usually fluctuate either.

The MSD is virtually the same exact pack as what the OEM pack is... except it is red, has slightly less filler in it's potting mixture, and has the older-style brass terminal on the HV posts (most of the OEM packs after 2002 have steel posts, which have virtually no real performance change from the brass, just cheaper to make other than that no difference).

The Accel pack is (I think, not sure...) a Denso-produced pack. The Denso is of no higher quality or performance than the Diamond pack. I would just say that from personal experience, I question a lot of Accel's products and their quality standards. I usually stay away from them... their stuff just is not consistent.

Bottom line, if you have to replace a coil pack, keep in mind that there is virtually no significant difference at all between the performance of the OEM, MSD, or Accel pack. If you like a different color, then mask your poles and connectoroff and paint it whatever color you want. Other than that, they have virtually identical primary and secondary coils, and leads and connectors... other than the potting, there is nothing else inside of these packs, that's it. No circuitry, no ignitors. The OEM packs in the Neon are about as simple (and effective for DIS) as they get.

Bottom line, if you have to replace your pack, I would overlook the brand and just go with whatever is the cheapest. Granted, coil packs can and do go out from time to time, but the odds of having to replace one are pretty slim (when it comes to the OEM pack on the Neon)... a lot of this has to do with it's overall design. If you went to junkyard and found one cheap, I would recommend trying that as well. Chances are, a OEM Neon coil pack in a junkyard is probably 100% good, 99.9% of the time...

And just to top it off, the Neon OEM coil packs (and Caravan, Viper, etc) were made by Diamond Electric in Michigan... and when they were sold to Chrysler they had a 150,000-mile limited gaurentee on their performance. Just food for thought.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:52 AM
beemik

A 3 year old coil pack will not cause these problems. plugs 8$ wires if needed 40$ like new again. this will fix ur probs cheapest way possible it recently happened to me and my buddy on a 2000 and 2003 neon. Neon just love the taste of new plugs!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: beemik

A 3 year old coil pack will not cause these problems. plugs 8$ wires if needed 40$ like new again. this will fix ur probs cheapest way possible it recently happened to me and my buddy on a 2000 and 2003 neon. Neon just love the taste of new plugs!
Word [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-30-2008, 02:05 AM
damifino

well i added new plugs and i still get the problem at times

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM
spec_ops57
Rookie

I had the exact same problem.. If you have an ohm meter, check the resistance on your coil pack.

Primary Resistance (To computer):
Steel Towers - 0.45 to 0.65 ohms
Brass Towers - 0.53 to 0.65 ohms

Secondary Resistance (To Spark Plug Wires):
Steel Towers - 11.5k to 13.5k ohms
Brass Towers - 10.9 to 14.7k ohms

My primary resistance was completely out to lunch, so I just threw in a new ignition coil and a set of OBX wires, with NGK plugs a couple days ago, and she runs like a champ.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
damifino

lol ya . . . well did u have the engine code for something about the crankshaft positioning censor unit???

Quick Reply: random jerking like at about 2300rpm