2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP - Borla CATBACK installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:37 AM
ehorizon7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Borla CATBACK installation

I am trying to install a Borla CATBACK exhaust on my 03 Neon SXT and am having a HELL OF A TIME getting the pipes to mate at the CAT end.... [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the pipe off of the CAT 2"?? The Borla is 2 1/4". It looks as if the Borla end (near the CAT) is also 2" which doesn't exactly slide and bolt right on like the other sections. All of those slide right into place and will crimp quite nicely execpt the MOST important!

Can someone PLEASE shed some light on the magic piece that I am missing? My buddy and I feel that the Borla end will fit inside of the CAT end and then get crimped down (opposite of the factory). The factory end is beveled outward but the Borla is opposite.

Right now, I am borrowing another car just to save me from installing the factory exhaust again!!!

Thanks!

ehorizon7

Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: HELP - Borla CATBACK installation

If you have tried to mate the 2 pieces together and one will not slide over the other: A- get it welded (best way), or B- goto an autoparts store and get a sleeve, its maybe 6" long and will slide over both pieces and clamp.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 PM
NeonDriver01
Rookie

Just wanted to know how you made out with the installation of the borla dual cat exhaust? did you get it on smoothly? or did you have to make some modifications??? if you did get it on how does it sound? is it worth the investment??

Old 01-17-2005, 06:12 PM
ehorizon7

Still working with Borla on the replacment Front Line Assembly. This is something new to them so I may have to wait about 3 weeks for a replacment.

I thought about using a sleeve but want this to be as clean as possible especially for the coin invested.
Thanks for the suggestion casper.

ehorizon7

Old 01-17-2005, 06:18 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: ehorizon7

Still working with Borla on the replacment Front Line Assembly. This is something new to them so I may have to wait about 3 weeks for a replacment.

I thought about using a sleeve but want this to be as clean as possible especially for the coin invested.
Thanks for the suggestion casper.

ehorizon7
What is the front line assembly? Did they not know the sizes were the same?

Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 PM
ehorizon7

ORIGINAL: casper
What is the front line assembly? Did they not know the sizes were the same?
[/quote]

The front line assembly is the portion of the pipe that connects to the CAT down pipe and makes the first 90 degree turn towards the driver side of the car.

That was my feeling at first and still think they did NOT know but apparently (after hearing what I had to say and giving them some dimensions ), they feel the SXT might be more like the R/T and SRT-4 in terms of diameter. Mine I measured at about 2 3/16" of which their pipe was about 2" where they met. Not going to happen so they are going to fabricate one for me.

Hope this helps! My bad pipe is heading back to Borla today (UPS picked it up).

ehorizon7

Old 04-28-2005, 12:44 AM
ehorizon7

After fighting with Borla for about 2 months and still not getting any type of intelligent response back from them, I decided just to get a stainless adapter made and bolted that baby on. I am VERY pleased with the output despite the hurdles that I had to take with Borla to get it done.

Glad I did not let my anger get the best of me. I almost just boxed it up and sent it back for a refund.

Quick Reply: HELP - Borla CATBACK installation