2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cruise Control/Speed Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Fergs01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control/Speed Control

I have a Criuse Control Question for anyone who might be able to help out. The car is an 2001SE model.
When turning on the criuse control the light on the dash will light up like it is suppose to do, but when you try to set the cruise it will not set and the light goes out. And you cannot turn it back on again, unless you turn off the car and restart it. When turning cruise on also too the light will light up, and if you dont touch anything , within a few moments the light will go out, and you have to repeat same process as stated before. I was maybe thinking Fuse problem, but then again maybe light would not come if it was. Also which fuse is it? I looked at the block inside the car and the one under the hood. Nothing is labled for cruise on either diagram.

I purchased this car for my Daughter to drive. The car runs great and drives great. I changed the belts( FUN job ), plugs, wires, filters. I also changed the Headlight and Tailight Assy's for her, that made a noticable change in the appearence of the car.

Any input on the Cruise problem would be appreciated.

Thanks; B. Ferguson

Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control/Speed Control

there might be a short somewhere in the line or a bad ground somewhere.... do you know if the car came with Cruise Control from the factory? or was it added later on? also is it a Manual Trans or Automatic..... also what speeds are you trying to use the cruise control in.

The cruise control system only works at speeds of 35mph or higher... just an fyi...

also check all of the lines to and from the cruise control servo.... it looks like a metal bell or hamburger shaped thing on the passenger side of the engine bay BEHIND(and above) the motor.... are you sure that there isn't a fuse listed on the fuse box covers...? I'm gonna give you some things my Haynes manual says to check for the cruise control system:

1) Check ALL Fuses and Relays

2) Have an assistant check the brake lights, as you press the brakes. [voltage from the brake light switch deactivates the cruise control]
- If the brake lights don't come on or stay on all the time, correct the problem and retest the cruise control.

3) Visually inspect the control cable between the cruise control servo and the Throttle linkage for free movement. replace this if nessesary

4) The cruise control system uses inputs from the Vehicle speed sensor (VSS), have a dealer check if the VSS is faulty and replace if nessesary.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control/Speed Control