2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Help Car wont Start P0016

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Jotun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Car wont Start P0016

Hi all I have a question and hope we have some pretty savvy folks here that may be able to help me.
I recently changed my timing belt and clutch in an 03 sxt 2.0. When I finished I started the car up and it ran perfectly no problem I drove it for a 15 min test drive parked it and about 2 hours later I took it into town and after about 35 minutes I was coming up to a stop sign and the car stalled so I attempted to start it again and it started but ran like total crap then immediately died. I had it towed back to the house and pulled the codes from the OBD II and it was a P0016 cam/crank missalignment. I figured that the Timing belt probably skipped a tooth but I went and tore the engine apart to find out that the timing is still perfect no slippage unless it slipped exactly 180 degrees which is extremely unlikely. So I went on and assumed the Cam Sensor or the crank sensor had to have went bad so I replaced both and still no luck. I then started thinking there has to be a shorted or pinched wire somewhere so after chasing wires from each sensor all the way back to the ECU/PCM and everything is .5 ohms resistance and 5 volts of power to the 1 and 3 pins so no pinched or crossed wires. I am thinking there is probably a diode thats fried but I dont know where it is.

Now my question can a deffective ECU/PCM cause this problem and if so how do you test an ECU?

I would like to thank everyone ahead of time for you help.

Paul

Old 06-23-2008, 02:34 AM
N30N
Record Breaker
Default RE: Help Car wont Start P0016

man just make sure that your timing belt was installed correctly cause it has to be perfect.even a cupple mm off and it wont run right.but im sure you'll get plenty of help on here with your ecu

Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Jotun

Yeah I double checked my timing 4 or 5 times and it is perfect I even took pics after the last time I checked it because I am sick of taking the damn thing apart I will post them later

Thanks for the reply

Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Jotun

anyone else have an Idea????

Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 PM
j.rich70
Default same problem

I am having the same problem, almost exactly. What did you find to be wrong?

Quick Reply: Help Car wont Start P0016