2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cam Position Sensor Bolts Needed! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
thatcmhguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensor Bolts Needed! Help!

Help!

I changed out my Cam Position Sensor on my 2005 Dodge Neon SXT, however I dropped one of the 4 bolts into the engine... well I think it fell onto the transmission (aka. never-never land) and has not been found.

I went to the Dodge dealer to see if I could buy extra bolts, and the funny thing is, the dealer says they don't have a part number for the bolts, therefore, they cannot order the bolts and do not have a way of ordering them. ?!

Believe it or not, they referred me to a hardware store to buy these 8mm Flank head hex bolts.. !?

I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot, of course neither of them have this bolt.

I called NAPA auto parts, and they think I should bring a bolt in - that's fine in theory but I would have to take one of the three remaining bolts out, and drive the car with only 2 bolts holding in the Cam Position Sensor (I don't think this is the best idea).. the other idea was to go to a junk yard and retrieve bolts from another Neon.

I would much rather prefer buy a pack of bolts and get this ordeal over with..

Does anyone have any resources, links, referrals, ideas, suggestions on where to buy these bolts?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:41 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie
Default RE: Cam Position Sensor Bolts Needed! Help!

would not recommend driving your car with 2 of those bolts in. you dont want any dirt getting into your camshaft. in my opinion, if your going to take the bolt off first, have someone else drive you to the store. or if you do drive it to the store, bring a socket with you and take it out when you get there.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:02 AM
thatcmhguy
Default RE: Cam Position Sensor Bolts Needed! Help!

Yesterday I removed one of the original bolts. Drove to NAPA with only two opposite/diagonal bolts in the sensor..

NAPA was able to determine the original bolt's dimensions: 8mm hex head with a 6mm bolt shaft x1.0

The closest they could match was a 10mm hex head with a 6mm bolt shaft x 1.0 - I purchased 2, a total of .68 cents.

The bolt fits and the crisis was averted..

Yay.

[IMG]local://upfiles/91998/81A5A80D1C0B42DFA59FED895073F8E2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Cam Position Sensor Bolts Needed! Help!