DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/168263-new-guy-trying-to-fix-mother-in-laws-neon.html)

jmcd 07-11-2008 02:41 PM

New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

Hey hows it going everyone ? Ok I am Stumped . My Neon is a 2000 2.0 SOHC 16v SMPI,Automatic.
It studders in the low rpms ,and wants to stall and has stalled . I can't get the light to come on and it won't pull any codes . I figured a sensors must be bad but is just on the verge of going bad. Can't afford to just start replacing all sensors , and it's my mother in laws car so I swaped cars with her cause it's unsafe with it sputtering. It backfires through the air cleaner too. Went to the parts store to get a new fuel filter , just to check that of my list , and it was unservicable ( strainer type in tank) . Had them look up an Egr valve and there wasn't one for the car. I couldn't find the valve earlier when I was trying to problem solve just through reading a little on the site. Unless I am just completely missing it. So the parts store guy said replace the Map sensor or wait for the light . But from what I have been reading it sounds more like the crank shaft sensor. What should I do ???ARGGGHHHH//@#$%!!!! So I thought I would just put the info out otherwise I might still be looking for an invisible EGR Vavle! Any help will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.
[align=right] [/align]

Izero 07-11-2008 04:01 PM

RE: New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

well if it is backfiring out of the intake i would say it is def. a timing (camshaft) related issue... have you tried to pull the codes up using the on-off-on-off-on-off-on method or not? if so there is a topic stickyed to the top of this section that tells you how to do it... but in all honesty it def. sounds like a serious camshaft/timing issue... so i would refrain starting/driving the car until you can verify the problem, as if it is a camshaft/timing issue you can and WILL severely damage the motor with further use... hope that helps and keep us posted :)

jmcd 07-11-2008 04:10 PM

Whats up ? Thanks for the reply . I tried the on off but according to your sequence I left out one on and one off . So I will try it again. Other than codes is there any way of diagnoseing this by unplugin or jumping sensors?

Izero 07-11-2008 04:16 PM

not yet... lets just take it one step at a time... so go ahead and do that on-off thing and write down the exact code/codes that come up... when it says "DONE" there are no more codes.. then come back here and post the codes you wrote down here and we'll move on to step 2... which will be giving you options to what you should do :)

jmcd 07-11-2008 05:09 PM

ok

jmcd 07-11-2008 05:16 PM

Ok found the sticky and got some codes!!! Yesss Progressss!!! I was still going off the gen 1 neons and waiting the engine light to see is it flash ! CODES- P1684 .... P0443...P0108....P1193. ....DONE!!!

Undesolved 07-11-2008 06:01 PM

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P1193 EGR Drive Overcurrent

Izero 07-11-2008 06:33 PM

heres one fix:

P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction >>> tighten the gas cap

for the following 3 codes im gonna do some digging so it might take some time..... but the Oil Pump Sensor may def need to be replaced, but im gonna do some digging and check to see what i can find out :)

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P1193 EGR Drive Overcurrent

jmcd 07-11-2008 08:03 PM

Sweet! Thank you ! I called the dodge dealer they just could tell me that the codes only point their mechanics in the right direction . Also I did unplug a few sensors yesterday while the car was running to see if it affected the idle at all . I know not the smartest thing to do ! Anyway should I disconnect the battery and run the codes again or should I reset them just to make sure?

jmcd 07-11-2008 08:38 PM

Ok , just went and tightened gas cap ,read on the sticky how to reset codes just disconnect negative cable for a couple minutes , Ran the car for a minute , now the only code showing up is the metering oil pump position sensor circuit.

Izero 07-11-2008 11:59 PM

P1684 isn't a serious code it should go away on its own... from what I'm reading its caused by disconnecting the battery within the last 50 starts... tomorrow i would run the car, take it for a spin around the block (GO SLOW ie. the speed limit= 25mph or so) come back to ur driveway and check to see ifdfgdff there are any codes again...

P1193 can be caused by a loose sensor on the intake... prolly the IAC, or the MAP, or any other sensor along the intake tract so check all the sensors from the intake to the intake manifold just make sure they aren't loose...

P0108 could mean a Bad MAP sensor.. so if you get these two codes again P0108 and P1193 get a new MAP sensor and that should fix the problem :)

jmcd 07-12-2008 12:17 AM

I tightened the gas cap and disconnected the battery to reset anything from the day before . Took it for a drive to get it up to temp. Came back and all I got was the 1684 . Should I chance it and just go with the map . Pretty sure nothing is loose . Don't really want to drive it again like that . Still obviousely running like crap!

Izero 07-12-2008 12:38 AM

.... plugs and oil are all changed and up to date...?

jmcd 07-12-2008 12:44 AM

Yep did those last week and threw some injector cleaner in cause that was when it stated with the light sputters. What is the firing order anyway I did them one at a time so I didn't have to look it up . I am pretty sure no one has touched the car except mesince it was new.

Izero 07-12-2008 12:48 AM

........... ill look up the firing order tomorrow in my repair book.. i need sleep atm... but if you used injector cleaner that could be causing the sputtering and crap......so just keep goin till the tank it empty (well close to it.. like let the gas light come on) then fill up the tank and see if that helps any....

jmcd 07-12-2008 12:55 AM

Great I never use any addatives ,,other than Restore in the oil and when I do it could be causeing the problem! Cause the injectors can't handle it or what? It is just about 1/8 of a tank to empty I am tempted to fill it up and see if that help tommorow morning.

culthuu 07-12-2008 10:00 AM

My 2000 had the same symptoms. Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to see if the fuel pump is going bad.

jmcd 07-12-2008 01:02 PM

Pushed on the shrader valve on the rail ,, seemed to have pretty good pressure got gas all over . I am going to go get the MAP right now and see what that does.

djmagic 07-12-2008 01:12 PM

like izero said don't worry bout the 1684 one. I would say get some decent wires. I was having a misfire issue with my grantinnilli (spelling) and i switched them out to mopar performance wires. Still have a rough idle every now and then but a lot better. So i would reccomend some decent spark plug wires

ericemery 07-12-2008 01:41 PM

you guys are awesome... threads like this one are the reason I love DF so much.

jmcd 07-12-2008 02:55 PM

Well it's not the map sensor . I started it up and sounded good for a second jumped in hit reverse and barely wanted to move !!!!!!!!! Now I don't know if I should try wires or what??? And,, yes ... X2,000 your guys are awesome and thank you very much for all your help. I am going to go chech the grounds again and look for shorts. For the Map I didn't have to reset anything did I ?? Or is it just replace then start-n go..

bone33 07-12-2008 03:05 PM

firing order is marked on the coil pack. see my painting

jmcd 07-12-2008 03:10 PM

What is Number 1 Closest to pulleys or flywheel

bone33 07-12-2008 03:14 PM

check out my paint skillz!!!!

jmcd 07-12-2008 03:14 PM

MIne From the front of the block just go 1234 from what the coil pack is indicating.

jmcd 07-12-2008 03:18 PM

Yep thats how mine look ! Farg !!! I think i'll go grab some wires if it is just the wires I am going to kick myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

bone33 07-12-2008 03:21 PM

now all you gotta do is fix your mother in law and you will be all set.

jmcd 07-12-2008 03:45 PM

Nope not the wires,, Man this thing is killing me !! So i have the tps and some oil sensors left or the coil pack?

jmcd 07-12-2008 03:47 PM

Should I try the crankshft sensor next?? Also do I have to reset anything for the computer to read the new sensor or is that automatic?

Izero 07-12-2008 04:12 PM

reset it just to be sure... and to see if the codes go away...... the crankshaft sensor should be replaced by a professional... just my opinion... i dont like to mess with OEM sensors unless its something simple like a MAP, TPS, O2 or something along those lines.... so yea... ummm leave the crank sensor off to the last thing that you do... that will be the last resort...

jmcd 07-12-2008 04:24 PM

All the codes went away the other day when I reset it except the 1184 or the one you said don't worry about,and haven't shown back up, but running just the same! I already took the new wires and map sensor off to return them I ran it for a minute and nothing improved . I haven't filled up with new gas yet though. The thing is it was starting to run rough before i put the additive in so I do think it is a sensor but I am actually lost. So hey anything is up for consideration to me. When I replaced the map and startewd it shouldn't it has starting running better as sonn as the computor got the ne signal or should I drve it and run throught the gears?

jmcd 07-12-2008 04:28 PM

Should I try the TPS when I put the plug wires in . I had it in park and reved it a little the rpms wouldn't remain constant ,and ecspecially the lowwer rpms seem to have the problem . When I had it on the road and had my foot in it , if it got to high rpms it seemed to run and sound pretty healthy.

jmcd 07-12-2008 07:14 PM

Ok fellas just tried TPS and the camshaft sensor Same OLE Story ! So now I am wondering if the timing belt jumped a tooth . If I floor it the revs go up to say 4,000 then down to 3500 and keep doing this ,,, but fast though like it is hiting a governer or rev limiter or something .

Izero 07-12-2008 09:01 PM

it takes a lot for the belt to just "jump a tooth".... how many miles are on the car and tell us exactly what it is doing or better yet if you can get a video of it that might help..... also.. you said you put new plugs in... what kind of plugs did you use? if you used anything with the word platinum in it that is the problem...if not then they may not be gapped correctly i think the gap on plugs for our cars is suppose to be something like .033"-.038" for a 00-03 and .044" for 04-05 neons.... so that could be the issue as well..it could also be a vacuum leak in the fuel injection, intake manifold, or vacuum hoses.........at this point heres what i think the problem is:

1) Wrong or incorrectly gapped sparkplugs
2) Vacuum leak in the intake manifold
3) Clogged Fuel Filter
4) Faulty/Damaged Fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator

jmcd 07-12-2008 09:43 PM

Ok , I am at home now,, the cars at work . If you floor it . It sounds like it hits a rev limiter. But not a high rpm rev limiter. It's low to mid range rpms it's an automatic and I don't think it got a tach. I would have to look tommorrow . I will check the plugs again tommorrow . I am pretty sure I didn't get her the platinums or anything special . For the fuel pressure I just pushed the shrader valve with my finger and gas came spraying out . Figured that was good . But I will get an actual gauge and check. Can you get those at the parts store ? I was told that the fuel filter was a strainer type only servicable by dealer, Is the regulator in the tank? Won't the pressure check eliminate all fuel questions? A vaccum leak off all the rubber hoses have been checked .To me because off the rev limiter thing it sounds like a timing thing so I got hopefull with the cam sensor and the tps but those were a no go ,, so it led me to think of the timing belt .It has 70,000 miles on it .

bone33 07-13-2008 09:19 AM

the rev limiter is set at 4000rpm's when you are in park and i think N. its normal.

the fuel filter is in the tank and is part of the pump. you shouldnt have to worry about it till the pump fails.

the timing belt is good to go till 105,000 miles, but many people go much farther than that.

fox02neon 07-13-2008 01:15 PM

When I used some injector cleaner a while back it also caused my car to sputter like it was not getting enough gas. So What I found out was on top of the throttle body there is the sensor with two screws on it. Take it off and clean it with a cleaner of some sort (I used carb cleaner). And stick it back on and see how it does. On the code issues Good luck, Hopefully this works out with the sputter.

Izero 07-13-2008 08:30 PM

no no no you must must must use IAC sensor cleaner... or TPS sensor cleaner... or you run the risk of damaging the sensor....... okie :) good

fox02neon 07-14-2008 12:21 AM

Sorry I did not know, it worked fine for me. Good luck