2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:41 PM
jmcd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

Hey hows it going everyone ? Ok I am Stumped . My Neon is a 2000 2.0 SOHC 16v SMPI,Automatic.
It studders in the low rpms ,and wants to stall and has stalled . I can't get the light to come on and it won't pull any codes . I figured a sensors must be bad but is just on the verge of going bad. Can't afford to just start replacing all sensors , and it's my mother in laws car so I swaped cars with her cause it's unsafe with it sputtering. It backfires through the air cleaner too. Went to the parts store to get a new fuel filter , just to check that of my list , and it was unservicable ( strainer type in tank) . Had them look up an Egr valve and there wasn't one for the car. I couldn't find the valve earlier when I was trying to problem solve just through reading a little on the site. Unless I am just completely missing it. So the parts store guy said replace the Map sensor or wait for the light . But from what I have been reading it sounds more like the crank shaft sensor. What should I do ???ARGGGHHHH//@#$%!!!! So I thought I would just put the info out otherwise I might still be looking for an invisible EGR Vavle! Any help will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.
[align=right] [/align]

Old 07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

well if it is backfiring out of the intake i would say it is def. a timing (camshaft) related issue... have you tried to pull the codes up using the on-off-on-off-on-off-on method or not? if so there is a topic stickyed to the top of this section that tells you how to do it... but in all honesty it def. sounds like a serious camshaft/timing issue... so i would refrain starting/driving the car until you can verify the problem, as if it is a camshaft/timing issue you can and WILL severely damage the motor with further use... hope that helps and keep us posted

Old 07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
jmcd

Whats up ? Thanks for the reply . I tried the on off but according to your sequence I left out one on and one off . So I will try it again. Other than codes is there any way of diagnoseing this by unplugin or jumping sensors?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Izero
Champion

not yet... lets just take it one step at a time... so go ahead and do that on-off thing and write down the exact code/codes that come up... when it says "DONE" there are no more codes.. then come back here and post the codes you wrote down here and we'll move on to step 2... which will be giving you options to what you should do

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
jmcd

ok

Old 07-11-2008, 05:16 PM
jmcd

Ok found the sticky and got some codes!!! Yesss Progressss!!! I was still going off the gen 1 neons and waiting the engine light to see is it flash ! CODES- P1684 .... P0443...P0108....P1193. ....DONE!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Undesolved
Veteran

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P1193 EGR Drive Overcurrent

Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Izero
Champion

heres one fix:

P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction >>> tighten the gas cap

for the following 3 codes im gonna do some digging so it might take some time..... but the Oil Pump Sensor may def need to be replaced, but im gonna do some digging and check to see what i can find out

P1684 Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P1193 EGR Drive Overcurrent

Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
jmcd

Sweet! Thank you ! I called the dodge dealer they just could tell me that the codes only point their mechanics in the right direction . Also I did unplug a few sensors yesterday while the car was running to see if it affected the idle at all . I know not the smartest thing to do ! Anyway should I disconnect the battery and run the codes again or should I reset them just to make sure?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 PM
jmcd

Ok , just went and tightened gas cap ,read on the sticky how to reset codes just disconnect negative cable for a couple minutes , Ran the car for a minute , now the only code showing up is the metering oil pump position sensor circuit.

Quick Reply: New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.