2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

? about key fob for 2000 Neon SE

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
RTShadow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about key fob for 2000 Neon SE

I needed a daily driver for the winter, and so that I can get my SRT-4 CE in for the infamous '3rd gear grind' problem.

So I purchased a 2000 Dodge Neon SE. It has the skim key, but no key fob was included with the car. The car originally came with one, so that is not an issue. I of course am not interested in purchasing one at the dealer for 75 bucks when they are going for 10 bucks on Ebay. The problem is that I am searching on Ebay and researching online and I want to be sure I purchase the correct one.

Also, I was researching the manual and it says that transmitters can be programmed by following certain procedures, that involve turning the key on and holding the unlock button for 10 seconds, etc.

So I guess my question is, how can I be sure that I am buying the correct fob, and also, can the fob be programmed as easily as the manual says it can?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

All 2gn neon fobs are the same, as long as you buy the one's that say 2000-2005 they should work. I have no experience programming them but it shouldn't be too hard and take up much time the way the manual says to do it.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 PM
RTShadow
Talking

I'm holding you to this, as I've just ordered a key fob

Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Andpto
All Star

For the members who don't have a manual and want to know how to program.

First, you have to have two keys that are already programmed to the car...

Second...this only works on US cars, dont know about Canada cars...

“CUSTOMER LEARN” MODE

This feature is only available on domestic vehicles or those which have a U.S. country code designator. This procedure requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III scan tool.

The steps required to program Sentry Keys with two valid Sentry Keys follows:
(1) Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that need to be programmed. Cut the keys to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
(2) Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
(3) After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted, and the ignition key to the ON position, within 15 seconds of removing the first valid Sentry key.
(4) About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the indicator light will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
(5) Within sixty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
(6) About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the indicator light will stop flashing and stay on solid for three seconds and then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed.

The SKIS will immediately exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed Sentry Key.
These steps must be completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key to be programmed. If any of the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if:
- It sees a non-blank Sentry Key when it should see a blank.
- If it has already programmed eight ( 8 ) valid Sentry Keys.
- If the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty (50) seconds.

NOTE: If you attempt to start the vehicle while in “Customer Learn” mode (LED flashing), the vehicle will behave as though an invalid key is being used (i.e. the engine will stall after two (2) seconds of running). No faults will be logged.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a particular vehicle, it cannot be used on any other vehicle.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:06 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

wow that sucks

Quick Reply: ? about key fob for 2000 Neon SE