2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How do you guys measure your MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how mine works. The first gas light comes on when I have about 2.5 gallons left. I've filled it up several times right around when the first light comes on and it usually takes 8.5-9 gallons. If you continue to drive for awhile with the gas light on and you use enough, the gasoline pump light will eventually start flashing. I believe it also chimes when it does that as well. It comes on with around 1 gallon left. I've done it once or twice before, it took around 11 gallons to fill it up.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was always horrible, because I have a heavy foot.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
InPsychOut

Originally Posted by Izero
its just how much gas you have used since you filled up last then you take this equation: (gas used) / (miles traveled on gas used) = ____MPG <<( thus units are MILES "per" gallon)....
Good post, Izero. It's good to dispell those myths like using higher octane fuel.

But you miss-typed your calculation of mileage. It's actually (miles taveled on gas used) / (gas used). Miles "per" (in other words, "divided by") gallon. Easily caught when you do the math, as going 300 miles on 15 gallons using your formula would yield 15/300, or about 0.05mpg. Would actually be 20mpg.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by LowSlowNeon
Here is how mine works. The first gas light comes on when I have about 2.5 gallons left. I've filled it up several times right around when the first light comes on and it usually takes 8.5-9 gallons. If you continue to drive for awhile with the gas light on and you use enough, the gasoline pump light will eventually start flashing. I believe it also chimes when it does that as well. It comes on with around 1 gallon left. I've done it once or twice before, it took around 11 gallons to fill it up.

well in the 4 years ive had my neon ive never let it drain till the light comes on but ill do that and see how much i fill up then.

thanks for the info.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yeah, just be careful that you're not far from a gas station. When it starts flashing at you, you better be headed towards a gas station. Like I said, you'll be able to drive maybe 30 miles and then you'll most likely be out of gas.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by LowSlowNeon
Yeah, just be careful that you're not far from a gas station. When it starts flashing at you, you better be headed towards a gas station. Like I said, you'll be able to drive maybe 30 miles and then you'll most likely be out of gas.
man theres like 30 gas stations here where i live and basically its turn to a maint street and gas station lol.

no really i do think theres like 30 here.but yeah i probably would be by a gas station most likey and i dont really drive anywhere anymore as i dont currently have a job.lol. ( sign)

Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I was basically just saying, don't go on a road trip or something and get yourself out in the country where gas stations aren't on every street corner and have it go that low. Thats all I'm saying. I have no problem rolling around town on little to no gas because like you said there is gas stations all over the place here.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 AM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

lol.

i know what u mean.

Quick Reply: How do you guys measure your MPG?