2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Double Tap Feedback On Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 PM
03sxtneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Tap Feedback On Brake Pedal

Hey guys need some help here, this is the first time I've had this happen to me. I just got my neon back from the shop after getting my transmission looked at. After leaving the parking lot i accelerated to 40 mph and then soon after had to brake hard well towards the end of the braking i felt a two tap feedback on the brake pedal as if the brake pedal was popping. Checked my brake fluids and those are all good, seems to be no leak of any sort also. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

That would probably have to be your anti-lock or ABS working. These two names are what keeps your front tires from locking up and skidding while braking very hard. Your brake pedal will pulsate because of the valves letting fluid back off and apply at a very fast pace. This is used so that the driver can keep control of the vehicle while applying the brakes very hard so that you can avoid something if needed. This is to help from locking your brakes up but it still happens.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
InPsychOut

I was thinking that, too, but he said it was toward the end of his breaking. Unless he mashed the pedal and started to lock up the brakes at the end of his stop, he should have felt the pulsating as soon as he started braking hard. Still, I can't think of what else it would be.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I own only Dodge
Professional

mine has done this before on hard braking, and i do believe it is the abs doing its job.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 AM
OhNo2.0
Professional

No ABS > ABS

Just a bunch of horse crap. Less control of the car in a spin out, more things to break down and just plain old annoying.

That's my 2cents...

Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 AM
InPsychOut

My neon is the first car I've had in many years that didn't have ABS, and it takes some re-learning to remember to pump the brakes during a hard brake. I had a rental PT Cruiser and had to stop suddenly on wet pavement. I didn't realize it didn't have ABS, and I skidded halfway into an intersection because I was used to the "mash and steer" with ABS. So while I agree that there are more things that can break down, I wholeheartedly believe in ABS for better control during most braking conditions.

I think the argument against antilock brakes is just like the people who don't believe in seat belts and airbags because of the one time in a thousand that they may do more harm than good.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
tooslow
Veteran

^ welll said with you %100

Quick Reply: Double Tap Feedback On Brake Pedal