2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

ideas on a stalling problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Pablodragon
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ideas on a stalling problem?

posting this here, thought maybe can relate to Neons, and seems to be a bit more active than the Caravan forum....

the wifee's van has a stalling problem...gettin real bad...goin out to look for a new vehicle this week...

any ideas?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...fter-time.html

Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

I had this happen to my 88 dodge dynasty. Well something like it. It would run fine then start running like crap then just completely die on me. Give it some time and start right back up and go. My problem was the fuel pump went on it. If you run it below 1/4 tank of gas a lot it makes the electric motor get hot thus killing the fuel pump. The gas in the tank keeps the fuel pump from getting hot but i'm heard of them also going even if people don't let it get below 1/4 tank. It's just safer to keep gas above 1/4 tank. This is my idea of what could be wrong. Next time it dies open the door and turn the music and etc. off so when you turn on the key you can hear if the fuel pump is running. You should be able to hear it If you don't hear the fuel pump than it prolly is the fuel pump.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

that sounds very possible to me. I did have a wire and/or plug go bad on my Neon, and it didn't do anything like this. It would just lose some power and start missing, then come back...would never do this 'no run at all' thing. Plus the Neon was trowing a CEL code...I can't get the van to throw anything but the battery has been recently disconnected code. Maybe in 96 the fuel pump didn't throw codes?... or else I have to have an actual scanner to see it...instead of the on-off-on-off-on method.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

I priced out replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter at the dealer(yea, I know, stupid, but I sure aint gonna do it myself)...just wanted a money figure...
was gonna be close to 800 bucks for everything

turning into a money pit...I know of a few more things that about needin to be done, so I'm tradin in the wifee-mobile...upgrading her to a 2006 Caravan.

thanx for the reply

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

your welcome and good luck with the new van.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

thanx. it's already funny because the thing came with stuff I didn't really need, but I got a good price. ..like the 2 power sliding doors and flip-down DVD player... it's just me and my wife!..we ain't got no kids, so there's no one to watch the DVD! ...but there is a heck of a lot of room in the back with all the seats folded into the floor.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

very nice

Quick Reply: ideas on a stalling problem?