Let's talk transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Let's talk transmissions...

This morning, the car started to and still does making a loud whining noise and slips out of gear while shifting. When it slips out, it takes a a few seconds to get into the next gear. No CEL, no apparent limp-mode as it still goes through all of the gears, tranny fluid is good, does not leak and is at the proper level. Once I am in the final gear, I can cruise on the highway, did so at 55MPH on the way home from the shop, with no evident or apparent issues.

Took it straight to a local tranny shop though. Hooked up a Snap-On scanner after a quick test drive and got codes about the prime (not getting enough fluid) and something about every gear ratio (basically saying it isn't shifting correctly).

Self-edit: Looking around, these should be the codes that are in the computer:
P0731 Gear ratio error in 1st (*think* this one was there, not positive).
P0732 Gear ratio error in 2nd
P0733 Gear ratio error in 3rd
P0734 Gear ratio error in 4th
P0944 Loss of prime

Back to the story: The shop told me that the only fix was a transmission rebuild and gave me an estimate of ~$2,000 for a rebuild plus any hard parts that may need to be replaced. Seems a bit much for what I was experiencing...

The thing that is getting me is that last code, loss of prime.

Name of code: P0944(35) - Loss Of Prime
When monitored: If the transmission is slipping in any forward gear and the pressure switches are not indicating pressure, a loss of prime test is run.

Set condition: If the transmission begins to slip in any forward gear, and the pressure switch or switches that should be closed for a given gear are open, a loss of prime test begins. All available elements (in 1st gear LR, 2/4 and OD, in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear 2/4 and OD) are turned on by the PCM to see if pump prime exists. The code is set if none of the pressure switches respond. The PCM will continue to run the loss of prime test until pump pressure returns.

Theory of operation: The loss of prime test is used to prevent transmission faults, which can be caused by a lack of pump prime.

Transmission Effects: Vehicle will not move or transmission slips. Normal operation will continue if pump prime returns.

Possible causes:
> Low transmission fluid level
> PRNDL indicates a valid OD code in the hydraulic reverse position
> Transmission fluid filter clogged or damaged
> Transmission fluid filter improperly installed (Bolts loose or O-ring missing)
> Oil pump - If a customer has a problem when the transmission is cold. Where someone shifts to reverse, reverse is engaged, and then shifts to OD and does not get OD (gets a neutral condition), and then can not get reverse or OD for 3-20 seconds, replace the oil pump. High side clearance in the oil pump will set a code 35. The pump will prime upon start-up, but as the torque converter purges air (drain down) the air will leak across the inner rotor into the pump suction port and cause a loss of prime right after the shift into OD. After 3 - 20 seconds, pump prime will return and normal operation will continue. The pump should be replaced only after all other
possible causes above have been checked and verified.

**In the possible causes section for the gear ratio codes, it says "If code P0944(35) is also set, follow diagnostic procedure for code P0944(35) first," though the above for P0944 says to check and verify all other problems first which I'd assume brings me back to the pump either way.**

My grandfather (A.S.E. Mechanic [not that it matters a whole lot compared to his 50+ year shop experience since all A.S.E. means is he took the tests and passed them]) and my uncle said that the transmission doesn't need to be rebuilt, but since that whining noise is there, sounds like the pump is shot. My father and I both erred on the side of replacing the filter first and see what happens before my father talked to my grandfather.

I looked around the internet and over on allpar.com, there was something in there about solenoid packs getting clogged. Not sure if this would fix anything for me as I am getting a loss of prime DTC.

I'm leaning towards going with what my well-experienced grandfather says and replacing the pump.

Any information or insight on this? Sounds like the pump is in fact what needs to be replaced? Either way, I am going to be replacing the filter and fluid.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 AM
contagious19
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they are chargin u around 2k to rebuild it just do a mtx swap for like half of that

Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I was going to ask how difficult that was, but if it is the just pump, it should only be like $100 for that part.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
mcfisher1980
Veteran

if im not mistaken the pump is connected to the torque converter.and the only way to get to it is by removing the tranny.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Correctamundo. Yay for me.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
tenntech
Professional

It does sound like a pump failure. If your car has very many miles, it would be a good idea to replace clutches and torque convertor while the trans is removed. The trans shop is probably pricing a rebuild because they aren't sure if there is any other damage from running the trans with low pressure. Most any trans shop would do the same.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thanks for a confirmation. I'd say to go ahead and do what you've suggested as the car has 83,000 miles on it, but as I just lost my job today on top of this (owner's closed up shop while we were closed these past two days, normal days closed, and gave no notice. I found out this evening from co-workers.), I can't really spring for anything extra since my parent's are probably going to help me get this taken care of.

I understand the concern with other parts being damaged, but there was/is just no other signs of that being the case.

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Anyone know where a transmission pump can be bought? I prefer to buy the parts myself as not to be overcharged for them. I have looked around and not seen anything. Still trying to find a shop 1. willing to change just the pump and 2. not rip me off in the process (Like the last one I just talked to. Every other shop said labor for that would be about 4-4.5 hours; which is correct. This one: minimum of 6 and probably more).

Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 PM
mcfisher1980
Veteran

well bro i hate to say this, but that part is a dealer only item. i did a look up on that pump while i was at work today and it referred me back to dodge. now if you want to, im pretty sure someone my have it on ebay. then again your taking a risk on the condition of it, or you can go to a junkyard and get one that way

Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hmm, that is what I've started thinking. Thanks for looking that up for me, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Let's talk transmissions...