See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Several problems with my 2002 neon...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
xozombie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several problems with my 2002 neon...

Hello all,
I've had my '02 neon for two years. In this time I've noticed several problems that I can't seem to find consistent fixes for. If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, the horn goes off all by itself, and stays on, not as if the alarm was going off. I eventually took out the horn fuse cause it went off while I was in class one day and attracted a crowd and a few police officers who thought it was a bomb. Is this bad wiring? I'm afraid to mess with the wheel cover because of the air bag. I kind of need the horn to work since I drive in a high-traffic area daily and I need to be able to warn people before they change lanes right into my poor neon.

Secondly, the trunk leaks like holy hell. The weather stripping is intact, but my whole trunk has molded over and I am seriously pissed. Anything I put in there gets water-logged, even if it isn't raining. Every once in a while I'll open it up on a sunny day to try and dry it out, but I'm in florida so it rains every other day anyways, and it just fills up again.

The defroster smells moldy too. No idea how this happened, but could there be a way to clean it or something?

The fog lights flicker on and off when my headlights are on, even if they're switched off. If I hold it down really hard, they go off. Does this mean that it's a switch problem or a funny wire cross or something? I've been switching them on to remedy the flickering problem, but when others borrow my car, they don't know to do it and they'll call me in distress over it.

When I'm stopped and in drive, the car vibrates. I've changed the spark plugs which helped for a week or so before it started doing it again. Shifting into neutral helps a bit, but it still shakes more than I think it should. I've heard it could be a timing belt. Ideas?

When I'm driving faster than 80 (uhh... oops?) and tap the brake, my left turn signal will turn on and stay solid until I let off the brake. No idea what this could be.

FINALLY, is there any way to adjust the headlights without removing the housing from the car? Its a mighty tight space in there and taking them out seems stupid since you need to have them IN in order to see what level the light is at as you adjust.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

As for the car vibrating you changed the plugs themselves well our fine cars like to carbon track the plug wires to the plugs thus if you change one it will do the same as before so you must change the wires and plugs together. Everything else sounds like electrical problems. You must have a leak somewhere in the trunk. I have no idea about adjustments on the headlights.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 AM
j_son600
Veteran

As for the leaky trunk check the taillight gaskets, good chance the water is getting in through them.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

mine does the whole turn signal stays on when you hit the brake too!, i think it is the turn signal switch that needs replaced. mine also will not stay on the high beams, it will always go back to low unless you hold the switch. the headlight should have two adjustments for each side. they are little rods that stick up very close to behind the housing. and j son 600 is right about the taillights leaking. your best bet is to just replace them with new ones. i think every neon vibrates at idle so no surprise there. I'm not sure about the other things.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

yes every neon does vibrate but when he said that he changed the plugs and it stopped for a week he just went through the same problem i incountered. You have to change both at the same time.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
N3ON
Captain

Originally Posted by xozombie
Hello all,
I've had my '02 neon for two years. In this time I've noticed several problems that I can't seem to find consistent fixes for. If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, the horn goes off all by itself, and stays on, not as if the alarm was going off. I eventually took out the horn fuse cause it went off while I was in class one day and attracted a crowd and a few police officers who thought it was a bomb. Is this bad wiring? I'm afraid to mess with the wheel cover because of the air bag. I kind of need the horn to work since I drive in a high-traffic area daily and I need to be able to warn people before they change lanes right into my poor neon.

Secondly, the trunk leaks like holy hell. The weather stripping is intact, but my whole trunk has molded over and I am seriously pissed. Anything I put in there gets water-logged, even if it isn't raining. Every once in a while I'll open it up on a sunny day to try and dry it out, but I'm in florida so it rains every other day anyways, and it just fills up again.

The defroster smells moldy too. No idea how this happened, but could there be a way to clean it or something?

The fog lights flicker on and off when my headlights are on, even if they're switched off. If I hold it down really hard, they go off. Does this mean that it's a switch problem or a funny wire cross or something? I've been switching them on to remedy the flickering problem, but when others borrow my car, they don't know to do it and they'll call me in distress over it.

When I'm stopped and in drive, the car vibrates. I've changed the spark plugs which helped for a week or so before it started doing it again. Shifting into neutral helps a bit, but it still shakes more than I think it should. I've heard it could be a timing belt. Ideas?

When I'm driving faster than 80 (uhh... oops?) and tap the brake, my left turn signal will turn on and stay solid until I let off the brake. No idea what this could be.

FINALLY, is there any way to adjust the headlights without removing the housing from the car? Its a mighty tight space in there and taking them out seems stupid since you need to have them IN in order to see what level the light is at as you adjust.
ok lol woooo wooooo woooo woooo
man dude dam your s*** is a bit messed up
ok the horn sounds like bad wiring.maybe a bad ground.to fix this you need to start at the horn and either take it off or follow the wires to fix your problem.its located in the front

on your trunk leaking you need to check your tail lights.there is a small hole where they line up with your trunk on the top where behind them on the inside there should be a spounge(spelt wrong)or something there to soak up the access water.2 options on fixing this.1.aftermarket tails 2.mold up the wholes.....

i also have the same problem your having with the fog lights.sucks doesnt it.well what well end up having to do it take apart our steering colum and taking off this piece.im sure it has a spring in it or somethin.if you cant fix it the i would just find a good one at a junk yard.gl man cause im not doing anything to my car cause its way too cold.

your defrost smells like a**.i think the leaking has caused this.i would try downy sheets in your vents.im sure theres plenty of ways you can think of to clean it.

my car like yours also shakes and its because its idling a tad bit low.mine idles when its fully warm at 500 rpm's...i think it should be around 800 and at the least 6 or 7.i would do a tune up and use sea foam

now the turn signal when you pass 80 blows my mind.i guess it would be another short but i've never heard of that before.and also to adjust your headlight you'll need a star skrewdriver.if you look on both sides of the headlight there are white adjusting skrews.there is one for height and one for width.also i believe the outside skrew you'll have to get with a kind of long skrew driver.and dont place em too high or you'll get some old lady commin at cha...good luck bro

Last edited by N3ON; 01-15-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 AM
neonftw87
Professional

Well well bro, sounds like you are driving a demon haha! ok ill help you on all i know..

1 the horn, in your steering wheel is a clockspring, what this does it pretty much connects the wireing for your horn to your steering collumn.. because if you had straight wiring, they would get twisted up when you turned the wheel, i think your clockspring may be the reason for your horn..

2 the trunk leaking... your weather stripping may be intact, but there has to be a hole somwhere, letting it leak, or could be leaking from the side of your tail lights, and lastly, check to see if your trunk lid is bolted tightly to the trunk arms, i would say if you replace the weather stripping it would fix it... that stuff does dry rot very easily...

3.the only thing i know to try to help you about the defroster is buy the spray air freshener, and hope to jesus himself it will eventually kill the smell, mold smell is sooooooo hard to kill... but im not sure how to take the dash apart to cure this issue.. sorry bro

4 i would say the problem you have with your fogs are your switch.. best thing to try to do is replace the fog light switch and see if that doesnt help... i think you have a bad connection on the back of the switch because when you push down on it the switch it makes them work properly

5.. Engine mounts...i would just about bet my life you have worn mounts, if not busted mounts... your engine is running smoothly but its wobbly.

and im not sure about the last 2 questions, id hate to give you ideas and they not be right..

i do hope this helps you out bro.. good luck

Quick Reply: Several problems with my 2002 neon...