2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
BADASSBRITT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

i have a 03 neon r/t with al the basic bolt ons i want to put a crane cam 14 can i use it with the stock pistons or do i need high compression pistons and if so what all other mods do i need

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

You don't have to touch the bottom end. Just buy a cam gear(you don't have to), and a new head gasket(smart thing to do when you take the head off) for when you replace the stock cam.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its smart to redo the bottom end b/c that cam will put some strain on the internals if they are weak... you also need to upgrade the valve springs and retainers...and ur gonna throw codes like mad with the stock PCM b/c ur timing isn't gonna match the PCMs Maps and ur O2 sensor is gonna be bugging out... just hope it doesn't throw you into LIMP mode or anything... I would just go with the crane 10 or 12... def 12 if you plan on going turbo later on...

Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Izero
its smart to redo the bottom end b/c that cam will put some strain on the internals if they are weak... you also need to upgrade the valve springs and retainers...and ur gonna throw codes like mad with the stock PCM b/c ur timing isn't gonna match the PCMs Maps and ur O2 sensor is gonna be bugging out... just hope it doesn't throw you into LIMP mode or anything... I would just go with the crane 10 or 12... def 12 if you plan on going turbo later on...
Its an r/t with the stronger rods and valve springs, he really wouldn't need to do anything but install the cam and put a new seal on. It is true about the codes, I don't think their would be any problems since you definately have enough fuel from the stock injectors.