2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Trouble Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 AM
contagious19
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always hard to work in da cold, dats y i havnt change my oil pan or roll my bumper, but it sounds like ur starter

Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
mjs182004
Veteran

Originally Posted by I own only Dodge
Yea dude sounds like your starter to me. Brushes are probably worn down to where there not passin the current efficently through the bendix of the starter< causing it to drag, then spin up and start the engine
That's good info! ^^^ also make sure you have it tested before you buy the new one just to make sure.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea... well I'm gonna have to drive it till the weekend b/c school starts tomorrow... so worse comes to worse i might just have someone do it b/c its wayyyy too cold and snowwy here in NJ to do it.... hahaha

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Thomas j

This maybe a dumb question, but have you checked your battery terminals and all other connections? When my starter went out it also made a grinding sound. When I watched the video of you starting it, it sounded like the starter wasn't getting enough power. Also, have you checked your CCA's?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Izero
Champion

first off CCA's? i been around here awhile and never seen CCA anywhere... lol and i just cleaned the terminals with baking soda and warm water... they are nice and clean now so yea...... not a terminal problem im thinking def. a starter or ignition problem... b/c she just got a tune up with iridiums and all not to long ago....

Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Izero
yea... well I'm gonna have to drive it till the weekend b/c school starts tomorrow... so worse comes to worse i might just have someone do it b/c its wayyyy too cold and snowwy here in NJ to do it.... hahaha
I'll tell you about cold. I changed the battery on my gf car for her at night, in 0 F weather, snow falling, wind blowing hard, and in the dark. And it was on a VW beetle so it was a royal pain in the ***. I'm gonna change the oil on my neon this weekend in a nice balmy 10-20 degree weather.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Izero
first off CCA's? i been around here awhile and never seen CCA anywhere... lol and i just cleaned the terminals with baking soda and warm water... they are nice and clean now so yea...... not a terminal problem im thinking def. a starter or ignition problem... b/c she just got a tune up with iridiums and all not to long ago....
CCA's = Cold Cranking Amps for a car battery. I think he's just trying to help with some info from his thread.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LowSlowNeon
I'll tell you about cold. I changed the battery on my gf car for her at night, in 0 F weather, snow falling, wind blowing hard, and in the dark. And it was on a VW beetle so it was a royal pain in the ***. I'm gonna change the oil on my neon this weekend in a nice balmy 10-20 degree weather.
LOL, I changed the driveshaft u-joints out on my truck last winter while it was snowing at 28 degrees, wet pavement under the truck and snow everywhere else. Wheee! Just go for it man!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Izero
Champion

blahhhh i dont even have a garage and the wind apparently just looooooves to kick up when ever i work on my car so its a serrrrious pain to work on it... but i am actually gonna have the battery looked at b/c it might actually be a problem with the battery not sure though so we will see... gonna have it checked out today.. b/c the symptoms today made me lean more toward the battery being shot or something of that sort... so we'll see....

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Izero
Champion

well had the battery checked out, as well as the alternator... everything checked out 100% ok so I'm betting that the capacitor I installed drew some power out of the battery and considering that I haven't driven the car any long distance to allow it to charge back up that that is the reason for my recent problems... I'm gonna test my theory tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting