2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Camshaft Position Sensor and Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
rvrfsh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question thanks darthroush

Thanks for the insight, i am willing to try anything different rite now. I will see if i can get a factory cam sensor. Any other ideas out there i would still like to hear.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 PM
rvrfsh
Default tried factory sensor

Thanks for the reply darthroush. I tried a factory sensor to the tune of $60.... $40 more than aftermarket part and didnt last but about 10 miles and had same problem. Any other ideas what might cause this. I have put four sensors in over thae last 2 weeks.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:28 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps it is more than the sensor? Wiring issues?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
rvrfsh
Default what about this??

I figured out that rite b4 the sensor messes up the car loses all power for just a sec and does this a couple of times then it bogs down and u cant get over 2k RPM. But i can remove the negative cable for a few minuts hook back up and the sensor works fine for awhile again. U think it could possible be the coil pack???

Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Me? I don't think so, no. The coil pack really only deals with firing the spark plugs. I'm thinking a wiring issue somewhere.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:38 AM
rvrfsh
Question i will try that then

Thanks darthroush for sticking this out with me!!!! one of the new sensors i bought came with a new connector and harness so i will chang thst anf ket u know what happens...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:53 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

P0339
Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent
P0315
Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned

The second one seems to be a big one and may be the cause of the constant problems. This is what I have found thus far on it:

CKP System Variation procedure is needed to compensate for minor variations in manufacturing tolerances that might alter the relationship of the crankshaft position sensor to the reluctor wheel, possibly resulting in a false misfire DTC and MIL illumination.

CKP positions must be relearned when any of these parts are removed or replaced:

*CKP sensor
*Front cover or bracket holding the crankshaft position sensor
*Target wheel (reluctor)
*Crankshaft
*Engine block
*Engine assembly
*PCM

The crankshaft position system variation learning feature is used to calculate reference period errors caused by slight tolerance variations in the crankshaft, the crankshaft balancer interrupter rings, and the crankshaft position sensor Hall Effect switches. The calculated error allows the PCM to accurately compensate for reference period variations. The crankshaft position system variation learning feature enhances the ability of the PCM to detect misfire events over a wider range of engine speed and load.

The crankshaft position system variation values are stored in the PCM non-volatile memory after the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure has been performed. DTC P0315 set indicates that the crankshaft position system variation values have not been stored in the PCM and the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure must be performed. The learn procedure is required after the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether or not a DTC is set:

*PCM replacement
*Engine replacement
*Crankshaft replacement
*Crankshaft balancer replacement
*Crankshaft position sensor replacement
*Any engine repair(s) which disturbs the crankshaft/harmonic balancer to crankshaft position sensor relationship

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

*The PCM will turn the MIL “OFF” during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.

*The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.

*The DTC can be cleared by using the Scan Tool Clear Info function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed on some models.

If a PCM is swapped from one vehicle into another, the CKP position variation must be relearned also (unless the PCM will be returned to the original vehicle). If a PCM is swapped without a CKP learn, the P0315 will not set and it is possible that a misfire DTC in the P0300 group might later set falsely (note the other code(s) you are getting). This is due to an incorrect CKP position value being stored in the PCM and being used in misfire calculation.

CKP variation is only relearned with a scan tool. It does not relearn “by itself.”

1.Make sure no DTCs are set. If DTCs are set, service them before performing the procedure.

2.The service brake must be firmly applied and the transmission in Park for an automatic or Neutral for a manual.

3.A/C must be “OFF” and the hood closed.

4.At this point, use the scan tool and select CASE Learn:

5.Open the accelerator to the CASE fuel cutoff speed and release it as soon as the PCM cuts off the fuel and the engine begins to decelerate.

6.The scan tool will identify when the procedure is complete.

The other option may have to do with one of these:

Inspect for the following conditions:
1 Worn crankshaft bearings
2 A damaged reluctor wheel
3 Debris between the CKP sensor and the reluctor wheel
4 Excessive crankshaft runout
5 A damaged Crankshaft
6 Interference in the signal circuit of the CKP sensor
7 A coolant temperature that is not within the Conditions For Running the DTC
8 The ignition switch is in the ON position until the battery has insufficient voltage
9 An ECM power disconnect with the ignition ON may erase the stored values and set DTC P0315

Either way, it seems like there is some detective work that is going to need to be done. Read everything and let me know what you think.

Last edited by darthroush; 04-11-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 PM
rvrfsh
Default Thanks Darthroush

DAMN!!!!!! Thats alot of info!!! You have been alot of help with this problem... I hope the info u posted helps alot of people. Im kinda lost here. Just alittle over my head but gonna try replacing the crankshaft sensor first. Will let you know how that turns out. Part wont be here for three days so will post back later in the week. Darthroush........U THE MAN!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

LOL, thanks. Unfortunately, this is one of those problems where you just have to keep knocking out all of the options as to what is causing it. I'll be waiting to see what happens. Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM
rvrfsh
Thumbs up problem solved

The crankshaft sensor i replaced fixed the problem.. Thank you Darthroush for your patience. I hope this info helps.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor and Cruise Control