2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Problem with metal tubes around spark plugs on 2001 plymouth neon

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009 | 11:16 PM
Lilman52
|
Default Problem with metal tubes around spark plugs on 2001 plymouth neon

I have been having an issue with the metal tubes that surround the spark plugs. The tube that is in #2 keeps popping up causing oil to come in to the cylinder and coming out around the top of the spark plug wire. I have taken it to have it looked at and they say that's nothing wrong with it just push it back down into place. To me that does not sound right so if anyone can help out I'm all ears.

Old 03-03-2009 | 12:23 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator

Have you replaced the seals on them?

Old 03-03-2009 | 05:32 PM
Lilman52
|

No since the the mechanic at the Dodge dealership said that I didn't have anything to worry about it. But I am willing to try though

Old 03-03-2009 | 06:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator

The seals are really the only thing I could think of making them pop out? If they aren't installed right and the tube is sitting on top for example, making it pop out.

Old 03-03-2009 | 07:32 PM
contagious19
Champion

seals change them and u wont have that problem again

Old 03-04-2009 | 02:14 AM
neonftw87
Professional

hey bro, when you put these tubes in you have to tap them down, or they will keep popping back up... take the valve cover off so you get the tube all the way down, get a solid peice of wood, and lay it on the tube flush so it dont bend the ends... and tap down gently with a hammer until it feels solid, which means the tube is against the head, since you got your valve cover off, go ahead and do it to all of the tubes to makes sure they are seated properaly, clean the valve cover and the head so youll get a good seal when putting the valve cover back on, and you should have no more problems, if it comes back up, youll need to get a new tube cause its gotten bigger than its supposed to be at the end... Gl bro

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:24 AM
blueproracer

i had just redone mine. there really isn't any seals for them. they go in with a sealing compound. i had used what i believe is indian head or something. it is found with all the other rtv sealants. it is a small brown bottle with a little indian onit.

Old 03-06-2009 | 01:57 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator

The seals are on the valve cover I think? There are seals though. I did see your reply in the other thread, and I'm sure that will help too!

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:54 AM
neonftw87
Professional

yessir darth you are right... there are plug tube gaskets in the valve cover, and just FYI they are a bear to get out, i pretty much had to use wire cutters to clip my old ones out before i could put the new ones in... hard to explain, not as soft as a gasket, but not as hard as hard plastic.... its like, say you have a rubber gasket that is old and brittle, but it just wont break... youll see when you get into it lol

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:58 AM
neonftw87
Professional

OH yes forgot to say... indian head is good ****... BUT do not use this with any rubber gaskets... pretty much what indian head is, is like a gasket maker... just like blue glue or anything... ive saw ppl ppl indian head on tranny pan gaskets and such, *after they think im crazy for laughing at them* it leaks... if you put rubber gaskets, with indian head... which makes like a rubber gasket of its own... they slip amongst each other... which causes leaks.. any kinda rubber gasket will seal itself.. never use gasket maker with it... anything else, its a great product to use.

Quick Reply: Problem with metal tubes around spark plugs on 2001 plymouth neon