2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Issues with Fuel Gauge and Fuel Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
BluNeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with Fuel Gauge and Fuel Indicator Light

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon SXT with a dead gas gauge needle and a fuel indicator light that stays on. Basically my fuel indicator light thinks I always have less than an 1/8 tank (it just stays on and the gauge doesn't move), then after I use about 6-7 gallons the gas light will start blinking and hence thinks that I only have about 1/2 gallon left. I am investigating possibly buying a new fuel pump assembly. I am wondering if there is a simple way I can verify my fuel gauge issue is related to my sending unit before I make the purchase. I seem to think that I should be able to unplug my electrical connector at the fuel tank/pump and measure a resistance. My understanding is that the sending unit/float is based on resistance. When the tank is full, it is high resistance. When the tank uses fuel the float moves and the resistance decreases. Hence, if I could measure my resistance now, then add 5 gallons of fuel I should get a noticable increase in resistance. If I knew the range (like 10 ohms to 90 ohms) and knew what connectors to measure, then I would be more comfortable with my diagnosis of an issue with the sending unit.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know the resistance of an OEM fuel sending unit for a Neon?

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Nheal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked a spare one I had out in the garage not sure if its completely accurate but it appears to read 8 ohms empty and around 90 ohms full. I would try pulling the assembly out and pulling the float assembly from the canister and taking it apart and cleaning it with electronic parts cleaner and a soft bristle brush. I've had good results doing that to numerous cars that the gas gauge was faulty.

Quick Reply: Issues with Fuel Gauge and Fuel Indicator Light