2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Broken grounds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
OhNo2.0
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken grounds?

They are everywhere on my car, corroded or simply broken off. I've noticed alot of static buildup and I get zapped quite alot. Maybe that explains my shocking personality, but really does, or will this effect the operations of my vehicular mobile?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 AM
neonftw87
Professional

nah, i got a new mustang i get zapped with alot getting in and out of the car lol, you prolly grab the top of the door like i do when getting in and out and then its like * POP* then you shake your hand saying, mother ****er! lol just static i think.

But yes, the ground straps are good for your car, they dont particularly make your car run or make it run any better or anything, they are just there pretty much to keep your computer from shorting out... it would be a good idea to clean up these ground straps or fix the connections when you spot em.... alot of times it wont make a difference, but better to take care of it when it happens, just in case that one strap woulda saved your cars computer.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 AM
neonftw87
Professional

well for example, im only 22 but i learned to work on classics mostly, when i got my first neon, i had it maybe 3 weeks, and it wasnt chargin properly, i started the car, took the terminals off the battery to see if the alternator was working and fried the computer.... that computer has everytihng to do with the way the car runs and its connected to everything on the front end with grounds... straps goin from it to the fender then the motor, then to the inner fender, then to the brake calliper... ever wonder what that peice of wire is that was runnin to that hole in the inner fender to your shock when you took your wheel off? lol

Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You post *****, always double and triple posting.

Yeah, grounds are good though.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
neonftw87
Professional

scratch that dude, im starting to think alot of the problems im having are ground related now, i threw a code that had to do with the gauge cluster or some **** and looked it up and someone was having the same problem and it turned out to be a ground in the harness close to the computer, i checked mine and of course there was a ground hidden behind the radiator that i didnt see, after i hooked it up the code went away but im still not running right... leaning towards map or TPS now

Quick Reply: Broken grounds?