2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

another tranny bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Neon Lights
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another tranny bites the dust

i ve got a 00 neon 5 sp. the tranny is in pieces. first question is are there only 1 5sp avaiable in 2000?, in our 97 there are two. secoun question is what years will work?. can we use a gen 1 tranny?

Old 03-11-2005, 04:06 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: another tranny bites the dust

1st question is how are you blowing transmissions. I beat the crap out of my 98 and finally had to replace the clutch at 150,000. Everything else is tight. No offense, but if you are not takin the car to the strip or race track, you might want to learn how to drive stick, cause your doin somethin wrong if you are blowing trans. Those are some strong little transmissions, I have seen 300 hp neons that are running on stock transmissions with no problems.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
01NEONSE

Did it give you any symptoms or indications before it scattered? I've got a funny noise, not sure if it's wheel bearing, CV joint, or trans related (the noise frequency does correspond to wheel speeds).

I don't know if the trannies off the earlier models will fit or bolt up. You might get the nameplate info off each and do a little research there to check compatibility.

You might check this forum for other info: http://allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=17

Good luck.

Eric

Old 03-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Neon Lights

first off iam a mechanic, i can drive a stick. i havent been blowing trannys. the problem with the 2000 is that the dif pin walked out, no warning. the other tranny i mensoined out of the 97 still works great if you watch your revs going into second. the 2nd gear syncro is gone and aperantly the shaft is around 1300.00cdn and cant be sepreated.we ve been driving it for over a year like that , and even took it out of province last summer. you can replace all of the other syncros though. my major question is can i use a gen 1 sohc tranny in a gen 2?

Quick Reply: another tranny bites the dust