2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Can somebody please quickly tell me where this grounding strap goes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 AM
InfectiousGroov
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can somebody please quickly tell me where this grounding strap goes?

I'm working on an 04 SE and the trans was rebuilt a while back. While in there today I noticed this braided ground strap is hanging. Ok first there is a ground wire coming from the neg post to the top starter bolt. And out of that same bolt this ground strap comes out. Where exactly does it go?

I have code P0562 - Low voltage

Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Captansavaho
Captain

if its a ground...ground it anywhere

Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 AM
InfectiousGroov

Maybe you didn't notice that it's already grounded. Which means it's probably piggy-backing off the existing ground wire and is intended to ground something else.

Can somebody look really quick?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It goes underneath one of the starter bolts IIRC. EDIT: I see that one is already there? I have actually seen that braided wire hanging loose on a few cars. Like it was said, being a ground wire, it just has to be grounded. I can't remember where else the ground wires went; just get it under a bolt and it should be fine.

Last edited by darthroush; 09-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 AM
InfectiousGroov

Yeah, but it's tied to the other ground that goes to the battery directly. So, piggy-backing off the direct ground at the starter bolt. So, it doesn't need ground, it already has ground. Looks like something else needs this ground. What?

Nobody can just go look for me please?

Last edited by InfectiousGroov; 09-22-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

To find that strap when it is hooked up (providing I am thinking about the one you are talking about), you have to spend 30 minutes removing stuff from the engine bay alone to see it. It's not as simple as wandering out to the car and taking a peek. If it is right by the battery when I open the hood, I can tell you later when I get back on.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I was able to see mine still. I guess I didn't rebury it when putting everything back. The metal strap that comes off of the ground wire that attaches to the top starter bolt grounds/connects to the front left battery tray bolt. Why two grounds? NFI. That's where it goes though.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 AM
InfectiousGroov

Originally Posted by darthroush
I was able to see mine still. I guess I didn't rebury it when putting everything back. The metal strap that comes off of the ground wire that attaches to the top starter bolt grounds/connects to the front left battery tray bolt. Why two grounds? NFI. That's where it goes though.
Thank you! Ok, yeah you can access it by removing the intake hose, but you can see it without pulling it. Ok, trying to help a buddy out, he has a low voltage code along with an EVAP code that made him fail inspection. Turned out to be a disconnected vac hose for the EVAP code, figured maybe a bad ground would cause the low voltage P0562 code. Some noobs rebuilt his trans and left that hose disconnected, one starter bolt almost completely out, and that ground disconnected. Thanks again for your time and effort.

--90 300ZXTT, 96 3000GT, 97 Z28, 02 Altima V6--

Last edited by InfectiousGroov; 09-23-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Ah, I see. Most people seem to have gotten rid of the code by replacing the battery. I'm not too positive that a missing ground would cause a low voltage DTC, not saying it couldn't though. Usually there would be other effects from that. Either way, I hope it helps. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 AM
InfectiousGroov

Well I searched and searched but nothing. And I saw posts where people thought an engine ground is not important. And let me tell you IT IS!!! I wrench on MANY cars that I buy/sell, not to mention the ones I personally own below.

So here's how important an engine ground is. I used to have a 91 Toyota MR2 and all of a sudden the engine was hydrolocked every morning. Pulling of the plugs showed the cylinders full of gas. So I had to pump it out by cranking which caused an engine fire! Luckily it was put out in time. But I had to change the oil as the gas had passed the rings overnight. Ok, so the next day same thing. Did a little research as to why my injectors were stuck open pouring gas into the cylinders. Common problem, engine ground strap corrodes and breaks. Sure enough mine was. But that's not it. It also melted the plastic sheathing around the whole e-brake cable into a puddle under the car and melted the needles off the gauges. Every electrical part in the engine was looking for ground through anything and everything. One guy took pics of his MR2 smoking, then burning, then of the fire dept dousing the skeleton of what was once his car.

So NEVER forget to ground your engine!

Quick Reply: Can somebody please quickly tell me where this grounding strap goes?