2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

electrical/fuel pump problem/fuses

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM
johnryan228
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical/fuel pump problem/fuses

2000 dodge neon es(4cyl) (4speedtrans)
I rebuilt My engine, because of gasket issues some time ago. Since then I have driven the car a little over 700 more miles, I let my trip build up since i restarted it when I rebuilt the engine. and some reason the gauge lights stop working, it blew a fuse. so I bought 10 dollar led lights, and wired it to the negative on my radio, and to my amp turn on switch for the radio. for a couple of moments the lights actually worked. but for some reason my engine started giving me hesitation problems. and then it started blowing Important fuses, the main problem was it blowing the fuse to my fuel pump. it did only do it while i was going up a hill, or coming to a stop. the engine will just die. I tried to take trash off the other day. and when i finally got to the dump and was slowing down my engine just quit, and every time I replaced the fuse, as soon as i turn my key. to the starting position the fuse blows again. i went through a pack of 25 before giving up. now the car's fuel pump doesn't even come on. and the fuse doesn't blow. also my radio doesn't come on.. if that's revalent I dropped my fuel tank and I'm about to take my fuel pump out to check it. but could my ignition key itself be causing this? how do i get it out? and is there a way to re-route the wires so i dont need a ignition key. I'll just put my own in it. by another key switch. so what can I do?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:04 PM
johnryan228

strangely enough. I wanted to try to pull the codes from the gauge assembly. but when i open my door the gauge displays the miles, or trip, but when i close it, the display doesn't work, even when i put my key in and turn it. what could be causing this as well?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:26 PM
johnryan228

another thing, I have a push start button. and i can turn the key all the way over, and push the button, but all the engine does is keep spinning with no signs of a start.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:27 PM
johnryan228

I mean this is just a really big problem. and i wonder how just messing with two radio wires started all this mess? I know the engine is in good shape. I just barely know about all this technical new age electronic engine crap.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:23 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried undoing the two wires you say started all of this mess?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 PM
johnryan228

yes I've done disconnected the wires. and disconnected my cd player, that worked for a while. then it started blowing the fuse again. theres no power going to any of my inside fuse box. Im got most of my complete dash loose. now my passenger side airbag wont come out.. i removed all the bolts i seen. I don't know whats holding it in. i need to get everything out so i can test all the wires. turning my ignition with the key seems to do nothing. unless my door is open with the key in, then it makes the beeping noise. i got to find where the main wire that gives all my fuses power inside. and figure out where the short is happening at. but i can't get the airbag out.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:06 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a wire from you battery to the PDB in the engine bay. The fuses inside the car get power from the harnesses. That's going to be a project to go through those. Good luck with that.

Quick Reply: electrical/fuel pump problem/fuses