2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

cam position sensor (code P0340) questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam position sensor (code P0340) questions...

Have done a search on this board and another, and have some questions, thought I would just start a new thread...

new code for me...P0340, never had it before...was going 70 on the freeway and it started losing power, pulled over and let it sit, checked and got code P0340.
Started back up and seemed fine for the rest of a hour and a half drive

Have searched and found this is the camshaft position sensor. Most posts just say replace it, it's easy... can anyone tell me where this is located?... I know it could be the wiring to it also, but seems no one posting ever finds thier wiring bad or corroded.

The other question is, seems that half of the posts that say "I replaced it"...then say, 'the code came back'... some suggest that it needs to be the factory part, after they say 'I got the $25 from the local auto parts store'... should this be the factory part when replacing?... and what does Dodge want for it, from thier parts counter?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:36 PM
ottoretto
Professional

pablo hablas espanol??

Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Factory parts seems to work best, period, so yes to that. I don't know about the price, but the sensor should be on the right side of the engine under the PCV valve. A square looking thing.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

just an update...

Got this code again, 2nd time within a month...this time the car seemed to be running fine.
So I stopped on the way home today at an independant auto parts store and picked up the part for $24.
Decided to suck it up and do it tonight, even tho it's like 27 degress and I dont have a garage to work in, at least it's not snowing

Not too bad to replace... did take the battery out, because I was gonna disconnect it anyway to clear the codes.

Put everything back together, started it up and immediatly the engine light went off, no more code!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you disconnect the battery, the light will go off anyways :P Hope it works for you though!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I'm sure I'm good now...back and forth to work 2 days, no more CEL...
it's funny tho... I had never reset the codes myself before, it would always be the dealer or shop..

So when I put everything back together and fired it up... could swear I got the extra beep and the CEL was on for maybe 2 seconds after the engine started, then it went out.

whatever

Quick Reply: cam position sensor (code P0340) questions...