2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

'04 hits 2000rpm and starts sputtering - engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Angerson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I had the same problem and just fixed it.

My wife's 2004 Neon SXT was having the same issue. It would happen off and on while she was driving. Anytime the engine would hit 2000 RPM's it would start to sputter.

I followed these instructions:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_a_camsh...can_be_changed

The part was $24.99 at O'Reilly and it took me about an hour to figure everything out and get it replaced. I used vise grip pliers to pull off the two radiator hoses that were in the way.

This check engine light first came on about 3 weeks ago and last week I changed out the spark plugs and spark plug wires just in case that was the problem. The engine seems to start up and run better but I still had the same issues with the sputtering at 2000 rpms so I replaced the sensor and that fixed everything. I noticed that there was a lot of oil behind the sensor when I pulled the old one off so I cleaned it up with a shop towel. I would bet that my old sensor is still good and that the oil buildup is what was causing the problem. I just figured that if I'm going to be taking the time to get to where the part is, I'm just going to put in a new one. If this ever happens again, I'm just going to clean it first before I spend the 25 bucks!

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Angerson

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...on-sensor.html

great tutorial to fix this! I just fixed my wife's car yesterday and no more check engine light!

Old 01-31-2018, 03:34 PM
ImmortalEren
Default I just changed the CPS though

I have this same problem and I just changed the CPS. It fixed it for a short while, then went right back to sputtering at 2.2k rpm. Someone in my family thinks its the fuel regulator, so I'm trying a new one of those but the oil light randomly comes on and off so I really don't know what the problem is.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:07 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ImmortalEren
I have this same problem and I just changed the CPS. It fixed it for a short while, then went right back to sputtering at 2.2k rpm. Someone in my family thinks its the fuel regulator, so I'm trying a new one of those but the oil light randomly comes on and off so I really don't know what the problem is.
Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.
Resist the urge to toss parts at the problem. Use your code reader, or scan tool to perform a trouble code scan of the engine computer & post up All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.. If you don't want to do that & the CEL is lit, most auto parts stores will scan at no cost.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:18 PM
Midwellman

Originally Posted by ajacques002
I think i'm jinxed, I literally JUST paid this neon off the day before, and I JUST started a new job that requires I use my car ALOT.
My 2005 sxt just hit 98000 miles and is now shaking and louder then ever. Codes 0304 and 0456 are showing on dash. Good luck

Quick Reply: '04 hits 2000rpm and starts sputtering - engine light on