2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

strange sound..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Nicholas_Scott
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange sound..?

Had my clutch cable replaced a few months back now, Last week I was driving and I down shifted and my clutch pedal poped once...and will pop every once in a blew moon and when it does the pedal gets more loose then after a few pumps while shifting it tightens up.

I just had a mechanic look at my clutch/cable/pedal assembly.
said my clutch is fine but the cable that was put in was not made by Chrysler (off brand cable) was put in which is causing something to snap in between the fire wall that is attached to the new cable. but this all just started happening a week ago..why now? odd.

the cable made by Chrysler cost 280$ I'm just not sure if it's my clutch or the cable. I don't want to spend money on something I don't need.

any advice would help : )
2000 Dodge Neon.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if it is on the 2000 Neons, as it was on the SRT4s for sure, but there is a little plastic clip somewhere down there that is a pivot bushing for the clutch. It breaks and can cause problems.

http://www.modernperformance.com/clu...t4-p-1982.html

Again, I don't know if it's applicable, but worth checking out.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Nicholas_Scott
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually that piece did break on me after a had the new cable put in so I bought the factory plastic piece and had it put in.

I tryed finding the orginal clutch cable made by Chrysler online but it's nowhere to be found. know any good sites? I suppose I could just call a local dodge dealer as well.

neyways Thanks man!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To find an OEM part, you will have to either go to the dealer, or find an OEM parts supplier. Dodge actually has their own parts site now, but I'm sure it's dealer prices. If you search for like "OEM Dodge Parts," tons of sites come up.

I'm guessing this is what the part is? I don't know if that's what Dodge actually calls the clutch cable: https://www.moparpart.com/dodge-neon-parts.html Get your year set at the top, go to clutch, clutch and flywheel and then release cable. $185.

You may try a junk yard or auto recycler.

Quick Reply: strange sound..?