2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Trans fluid, filter, band adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Olddaddrivindaughterscar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid, filter, band adjustment ?

I plan to change the fluid, filter, and adjust the bands in our 2004 SXT-it currently has 56K on the ODO.

I read some information that lead me to believe that I should first purge all of the old fluid by pulling the return line from the cooler and drain what is pumped from that line with the engine running and the car in drive (to also purge the torque converter fluid). I suppose I'll have to stop at 2 quart intervals to add fresh fluid. I should continue this process until the fluid draining from the return line is fresh, indicating that the system has been completely flushed.
Then, I should drop the transmission drain pan, clean the magnet, pull the filter, adjust the bands, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and re-service the fluid to specifications. I also read that I should only use the Mopar ATF+4 fluid.
Does anyone have anything to add or some helpful advice for me before I attempt this task?
Your help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to ensure that we extend the life of this car as much as possible.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

IIRC, there isn't bands to adjust on the 41TE.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Olddaddrivindaughterscar
Default Band adjustment

According to the owners manual, a band adjustment is called out with the automatic transmission service. I suppose I'll try to get the data from the official Dodge service manual to confirm whether the band check is applicable.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid, filter, band adjustment ?