2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Question about rack and pinion (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Dorin_82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rack and pinion (maybe)

I've had a clunking noise for a while now on the front end, but not so bad. it still is not to bad. anyways, the other day I jacked the car up to see what's wrong, and surprise, everything felt tight and strong. i was sure it was 1 or both ball joints, but nope, they're tight. then i tried to see if some bolts were loose, and indeed the stabilizing bar bushings were kinda loose, and even the ball joint nut went a couple of nothces. after driving it again, yes, the clunk noise was still there, but i specially noticed today when i had the steering wheel turned to max right, and just playing with it that the clunk noise got loud, just in that position. so i had the wife move the steering while i was looking down there, and aparently is the inner tie rod.
Now, i'll open it tomorrow and try to figure it out exactly, but my question, since the inner tie rod is covered and i couldn't see, just feel, is it possibile that the rack and pinion might go bad, since is on the left hand side? do this cars have this problem? and if yes, is there a fix to it, like a repair kit or something? I'm asking this cause it seems kinda weird to me that the inner tie rod on the driver's side went bad before a ball joint or the outer tie rod. i just think the inner 1 has less pressure applied to it then the other two mentioned. Thanks guys

Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Moparkyle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like one of the tie rods.

Quick Reply: Question about rack and pinion (maybe)